none
A lot of custom fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In one of our environment, we currently have 70 custom fields as follow (onely one is calculated).

Formula

Entity

Type

Count of Last Updated

No

Project

Cost

Date

Number

Text

Resource

Text

Task

Cost

Flag

Text

Yes

Task

Cost

Grand Total

we would like to evaluate the impact on adding 20 more project custom fields 

14 of those fields will be supported by one Lookup Table and the 6 others will be free text.

Do you see any drawbacks in adding such number of CF?

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• jejetator,

I don't quite understand your diagram of fields, a screen shot would have been much better. But, understanding the details isn't really the crux of your question.

Generally speaking, more customization leads to larger files. On the good side, you don't appear to have tons of complex formulas and if you only have one or two lookup tables it shouldn't be too bad. It looks like most of your custom fields are strictly for pieces of "simple" data.

That's my two cents.

John

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:42 PM

All replies

• jejetator,

I don't quite understand your diagram of fields, a screen shot would have been much better. But, understanding the details isn't really the crux of your question.

Generally speaking, more customization leads to larger files. On the good side, you don't appear to have tons of complex formulas and if you only have one or two lookup tables it shouldn't be too bad. It looks like most of your custom fields are strictly for pieces of "simple" data.

That's my two cents.

John

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Hello John

thanks for your reply.

the pivot table past did not work as expected.

should be more understundable like that

Formula Entity Type Count  Count of Lookup Table
    No Project Cost 7
    No Project Date 5
    No Project Number 3
    No Project Text 40 26
    No Resource Text 5 5
    No Task Cost 5
    No Task Flag 2
    No Task Text 2 1
    Yes Task Cost 1
    Grand Total 70 32

in what you say I may concider that it's no big deal adding more fields while it's not calculated ones.

thanks

Jérome

Jérome

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:38 PM