help - SIM RIL AT commands RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     I am trying to develop an application on Windows 2003 Pocket PC on iPAQ to get the IMSI and
    run the GSM Algorithms(A3/A5/A8). I found that its possible through AT commands and RIL.
    Does all phones support this execution of AT commands ? Does it depend on phone or SIM or OS ?
    I tried with a sample , but its giving error 80004001. How can i find whether iPAQ or Palm supports
    this AT commands ?

The code is just to select GSM Dir.. SendSIMCard ( ) is failing....

const BYTE GSM_DIR_CMD[] = {(BYTE)0xA0, (BYTE)0xA4, (BYTE)0x00, (BYTE)0x00, (BYTE)0x02 ,(BYTE)0x7F,(BYTE)0x20};

result = RIL_Initialize(1, ResultCallback, NotifyCallback, dwNotificationClasses, g_dwParam, &g_hRil);
        if (result < 0)
        {
            wsprintf(szString,L"RIL_Init-%d",result);
            ShowMessage(szString);
        }

res_GSMDir = RIL_SendSimCmd(g_hRil, GSM_DIR_CMD,sizeof(GSM_DIR_CMD));
        if (res_GSMDir < 0)
        {
            wsprintf(szString,L"res_GSMDir %x",res_GSMDir);
            ShowMessage(szString);
            print_error(-1 * res_GSMDir);
        }

Please provide yur help.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi RIL is a good method, but the problem is every OEM develop the RIL library by themselve. Every OEM develop the OEM as per their design and requirement.Every OEM develop the OEM as per their design and requirement. This causes inconsistent behavior of the RIL. You cannot be sure that if the same RIL API gives same result in all the devices. In getting IMSI etc, it is better you take the convensional way. I have already explained with code how to retrieve IMSI. You can find it in the link: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1426654&SiteID=1

Friday, April 27, 2007 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi ,
       I am trying to write an application on Windows 2003 Pocket PC on HP iPAQ which can read the IMSI and run the GSM algorithms . I found that its possible through AT commands and RIL interface. Is it actually possible ? Does this execution of AT commands depends upon the phone or SIM or OS ?
        Right now blocked in this situation. The code for RIL_SendSimCmd ( ) is returning error code 80004001 ( i assume its not implementable ) am trying to do select GSM dir. But getting error..
    Please provide your valuable help.

const BYTE GSM_DIR_CMD[] = {(BYTE)0xA0, (BYTE)0xA4, (BYTE)0x00, (BYTE)0x00, (BYTE)0x02 ,(BYTE)0x7F,(BYTE)0x20};
    result = RIL_Initialize(1, ResultCallback, NotifyCallback, dwNotificationClasses, g_dwParam, &g_hRil);
        if (result < 0)
        {
            wsprintf(szString,L"RIL_Init-%d",result);
            ShowMessage(szString);
        }

res_GSMDir = RIL_SendSimCmd(g_hRil, GSM_DIR_CMD,sizeof(GSM_DIR_CMD));
        if (res_GSMDir < 0)
        {
            wsprintf(szString,L"res_GSMDir %x",res_GSMDir);     ///it fails here
            ShowMessage(szString);
            print_error(-1 * res_GSMDir);
        }
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:02 PM
  • We don't use RIL to get IMSI, because there are many limitations to use RIL.

You can use  SimInitialize()  , then call SimGetRecordInfo(), SimReadRecord() to get IMSI.

This way is easy  and works fine for PPC .

Notice, if work on smartphone platform, you must sign the program with privileged cert.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Hi RogerXu,
              Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually I was confident of deriving IMSI through SIMGetRecordInfo () . but Can i run A3/A5 GSM authentication algorithms through that ? i feel very less confidence , so thought of doing everything through AT commands. Could you please tell me anyway so that i can run the Run GSM Algorithm in my smartphone platform.. i found only RIL... If its RIL, how can it be done? what can be the limitation.. ? please do provide your valuable suggestion..

Thanks,
    sanal
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Not all windows mobile phone support RIL function, and you must signe your app with privileged certificate if you want to run on smartphone2003/windows mobile 5.0( ppc/sp).

I think  using RIL or directly send  AT command to GSM modem  may get SRES/KC on some phone, but not all.  And different  GSM modem types use defferent commands...

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Hi RIL is a good method, but the problem is every OEM develop the RIL library by themselve. Every OEM develop the OEM as per their design and requirement.Every OEM develop the OEM as per their design and requirement. This causes inconsistent behavior of the RIL. You cannot be sure that if the same RIL API gives same result in all the devices. In getting IMSI etc, it is better you take the convensional way. I have already explained with code how to retrieve IMSI. You can find it in the link: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1426654&SiteID=1

Friday, April 27, 2007 11:09 AM
  • hi, thanks for the reply. I actually got the IMSI..right now stuck with how to work with GSM algorithms. Through card reader API's its possible.. But mine is a CE phone application. So trying to use AT commands..but not sure whether phones like iPAQ/Palm supports AT+CSIM commands or not. Any idea of how to check this ?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am kind of into a project which is "Cell ID based location tracking" for Windows Mobile 5 & 6 devices (both pocket pc & smartphone).

In development I used RIL to get the Cell ID & other tower details.

The problem I am facing now is getting it signed for distribution.

Mobile2Market (M2M) - Seems like the RIL is under undocumented API so Microsoft won't be signing it - is it true???

Network Operators (Verizon etc.,) - Since the product involves RIL, would they hesitate to have it signed?

1. Is there any other API (documented) which I can use to get Cell ID details

or

2. Will the leading operators / M2M be interested in signing the application which uses RIL

Any link you can provide would be really helpful for me.

-- Senthil

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Hi Sanal
    Did you ever figure this out?
    If So please let me know if not perhaps we can collaborate to see
    if there is any way to solve this.
    I am looking to do some thing very similar.
    I have  no idea how to contact you.

Does any one have any idea how to approach this?
    I am looking to run the gsm algorithm from an app.

Thanks a lot.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:12 PM