FTP TIME OUT ISSUES RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we changed our internet service from cable to fiber optics.  My EW3 and even when I updated to WE4 will not allow FTP to the any of the web sites I've used in the past.  Can someone help??  shouldn't the change have been without any incident?  the change from dsl to fiber may not have been the issue.  I just dont' know where to look.  

When I try to "Connect to the current publishing destination" it just waits about 20 seconds then says "the server unexpectidly closed the server"

I know you might say it's the remote server, but this only happens when i'm on the computer at work, my home computer (which still uses DSL) has no issues connecting to the server.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:47 AM

All replies

• Since it only happens on the system you changed ISPs on I'd suggest contacting your ISP. They maybe blocking the prot you need.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:15 AM
  • ... or the domain. It is possible that your new ISP uses a blacklisting service that has blocked a range of IPs for what it considers unsavory behavior. I have actually lost email delivery in the past from a mailing list I used to subscribe to, Web Development Talk (wdvltalk) for this reason.

If that is the case, you may be out of luck as long as you stay with that ISP. My ISP steadfastly refused to allow the traffic from wdvltalk. The Tier 2 tech I spoke with said (truthfully or not, I can't say) that they themselves could be blocked if they overrode the block and permitted traffic from blocked IPs. He said that would make them, in effect, a side-door vector for the very activity for which the IPs got blocked to begin with.

Note that the activity which caused the block, if that is indeed the problem, need not necessarily be from your site. If you, like many, are on a shared server, you go down the toilet with everyone else on that server when it is blocked. In any event, as Cheryl said, you need to check with your new ISP. This is not an EW question; AFAIK there is no mechanism that would cause this behavior in EW.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:44 AM