Target platform for new products!!! What to choose? WM or WP7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I´m starting to design a new product for one of my Customer and his needs are unique. I don´t want to deploy this application in WP marketplace, do I need to target my application to WM6.5? or can I deploy app´s without marketplace in WP7?

What to choose? WM6.5 or WP7? How far goes the WM6.5 support? Are Microsoft and PDA Industry players planning to supply new WM6.5 devices for the next couple years?

Sorry about english grammar errors.

Thanks, Ricardo Momm

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Ricardo Momm,

As far as I know, we will support  WM6.5 for next  several years. So far, there isn't a deadline date for supporting WM6.5. Base on this, we can select either of them. But I suggest you WP7, this is a new OS, which we will support more years than WM6.5. For WP7.0 issue, I suggest you post it on Windows Phone 7.0 forum, where you can get better reply:
    Windows Phone 7 Forum

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo Momm,

As far as I know, we will support  WM6.5 for next  several years. So far, there isn't a deadline date for supporting WM6.5. Base on this, we can select either of them. But I suggest you WP7, this is a new OS, which we will support more years than WM6.5. For WP7.0 issue, I suggest you post it on Windows Phone 7.0 forum, where you can get better reply:
    Windows Phone 7 Forum

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Can you move this topic to Windows Phone 7 Forum?
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Since it is not in the MSDN forum, I can't move it. Here is the latest forum url:
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Friday, November 5, 2010 2:50 AM
  • This is the $64,000 question for us.

For our software suite,

- Do we continue to target Windows Mobile 6.5, even though non-rugged manufacturers will likely abandon it?

- Do we embrace WP7 and somehow try to convert all code to Silverlight, rewriting or removing large areas of functionality due to unavailable features (SQL, sockets, application domain restriction)?

- Do we look to other OSes entirely, such as Android?

The future looks pretty uncertain...

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:41 AM