Online SQL Server database testing RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I am currently studying database administration on SQL Server and was wondering if it will be possible for me to use a SQL server database on azure to access from any SSMS I use on my devices so I will be able to connect it to my reports (BI Reporting) I want to set up on excel or Power BI via connection strings.

The Database will be fairly small as I want to use this as a trail run for my studies and setting up my own database that I can administrate from any device or place.

Also will it be possible if I can link it to a HTML webpage / application forms, etc. that prompts a user (Myself) to enter data for the database?

Note that I will be the only user and this is for testing and studies.

Please assist with my options or suggestions?

Thursday, May 7, 2020 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you will be able to connect to Azure SQL DB from SSMS if you have no restrictions applied on server like IP, firewall etc.

It is possible to connect to it via front end as well to perform CRUD operation. You can post this on Azure web app question on below forum 

https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/questions/ask.html

Just for reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/app-service-web-tutorial-dotnet-sqldatabase

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Friday, May 8, 2020 9:08 AM
  • Hi Thank you, What I want to know is there a free trail version cloud database I can test on?
    Saturday, May 9, 2020 6:27 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer(s) helped.

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further queries do let us know. 

Monday, May 11, 2020 12:27 PM
  • Hi, No not Yet, But I did manage to get what I wanted, Started doing trail version on Azure to test my DBA skills.
    Monday, May 11, 2020 9:42 PM
  • Hi Thank you, What I want to know is there a free trail version cloud database I can test on?

Yes, you can create DB and get started with your testing. But when you create it, you can set configurations to low just to lower cost. 

Also try to set some alerts, say - Alert me when subscription cost crosses 10$, when subscription cost crosses 20$.. Just to watch out price and avoid surprises

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:10 PM