Removing Non Dual-Boot Windows Developer Preview 8 Beta

Question

• I messed up BIG TIME...no sarcasm please...I installed the new Windows 8 BETA, by shrinking my C OS INSTALL partion, and created a 20g partition for WINDOWS 8

IT CERTAINLY IS quite different....signing in with your hotmail account

FORTUNATELY I have an external SEAGATE 1 TB and an external 500Mg which have remained UNHARMED

There is no rollback, and for the life of me I cannot get MY M.S.I. laptop REINSTALL WINDOWS 7 32 bit to WORK

I have

already READ all the cynical, "why did you not dual boot INSTALL"...well for some reason the part where DISK ),1,2 3 etc did NOT come up

Now for the best news my original WINDOWS.ODLD has ALSO been replaced by WIN 8 BETA

WHAT CAN I DO TO FORMAT THE C DRIVE without ruining the 10gig BIOS opartiton

I AM FREAKING OUT, as this pre-release is like a morph of MAC and WINDOWS (well sort of)

PLEASE ANY constructive ideas...I have to go borrow back my FACTORY MSI RESTORE disc as WIN 8 is claiming my back up DVD copy is not VALID

efluential@hotmail.com

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:06 PM

Answers

• IT CERTAINLY IS quite different....signing in with your hotmail account

You don't have to do that, you can create a normal local user account.

already READ all the cynical, "why did you not dual boot INSTALL"...well for some reason the part where DISK ),1,2 3 etc did NOT come up

Sounds like you may have chosen upgrade, not a clean install.

PLEASE ANY constructive ideas...I have to go borrow back my FACTORY MSI RESTORE disc as WIN 8 is claiming my back up DVD copy is not VALID

If Windows came with the computer - Reinstall Windows Preinstalled On Computer

OEM computer manufacturers are required to provide at least one way for you to reinstall Windows if you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled - your computer should have included either a restore partition on your hard drive, or Windows install/restore disks. Most computer manufacturers also have a feature to make your own install disks.

If the restore partition is still there and was not removed, it will reinstall Windows 7. There is usually a prompt when you first start the computer telling you what key to press to start the restore - check your manual if you're not sure how to. If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If you don't have the restore partition or install disks:

Contact the OEM computer manufacturer and ask them to send you an install disk for your computer - they may or may not do it. If they agree to send you one they may charge a small fee. Contact information for the manufacturer of your computer can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/oemphone/

If you bought retail Windows 7:

If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

How to replace Microsoft software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:51 PM

All replies

• efluential,

Are you still experiencing issue with this? 

Have you tried booting from the Windows 7 installation media and then formatting the partition that way?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:48 PM
  • IT CERTAINLY IS quite different....signing in with your hotmail account

You don't have to do that, you can create a normal local user account.

Sounds like you may have chosen upgrade, not a clean install.

If Windows came with the computer - Reinstall Windows Preinstalled On Computer

OEM computer manufacturers are required to provide at least one way for you to reinstall Windows if you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled - your computer should have included either a restore partition on your hard drive, or Windows install/restore disks. Most computer manufacturers also have a feature to make your own install disks.

If the restore partition is still there and was not removed, it will reinstall Windows 7. There is usually a prompt when you first start the computer telling you what key to press to start the restore - check your manual if you're not sure how to. If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If you don't have the restore partition or install disks:

Contact the OEM computer manufacturer and ask them to send you an install disk for your computer - they may or may not do it. If they agree to send you one they may charge a small fee. Contact information for the manufacturer of your computer can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/oemphone/

If you bought retail Windows 7:

If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

How to replace Microsoft software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:51 PM