none
Office 2007 and .chm files RRS feed

• Question

• Office 2007 installs a bunch of .chm files to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\1033. Most of those .chm files seem to be stubs, since their size is either 0 or 1 KBs.

The Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library, as seen using OLEView.exe, references vbaxl10.chm as the help file for the object library. My tool reads this type library in order to try to link to the help file. But, in this case, the help file is invalid (it's one of the ones that has size 0).

How can I get a valid .chm for the Excel 12.0 library??

Thanks,

Luis

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Luis

Starting with Office 2007, most of the Help is accessed on-line, and that's the default. There's very little help delivered and installed with the product. Possibly it's not been installed on your test/development machine?

Start an Office 2007 application then press F1 to bring up "Help". Look at the lower right corner of the Help window. Do you see "Connected to Office online"? Go the Search button click the arrow and choose an entry under "Content from this computer". Do you get anything?

If you do, try checking whether there's a change in the *.chm files you were looking at before. You can also right-click any link in the Help window, choose "Properties" and see where the content is coming from (and it's never a *.chm file).

For more information on how Office Help is designed, I think the better place to ask would be the Technet forums for IT professionals.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, February 11, 2011 8:52 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hello Luis,

Thanks for posting. From this KB article, these .chm files are help files. If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a way to link to these help files using Excel 12.0 object library by code. Right? If yes, as far as I see, there is not a way exposed by Excel object model to link to help files.

If you have any concern on this post, just feel free to follow up. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 7, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I am trying to link to the Excel help files by code. The standard way that object libraries reference their help files is by referencing them in the type library. The type library that is embedded in the 2007 version of excel.exe has this in the header:

// Generated .IDL file (by the OLE/COM Object Viewer)

//
    // typelib filename: EXCEL.EXE

[
      uuid(00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046),
      version(1.6),
      helpstring("Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library"),
      helpfile("VBAXL10.CHM"),
      helpcontext(0x0000ffff),
      custom(0F21F359-AB84-41E8-9A78-36D110E6D2F9, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll)

]

Note that it lists vbaxl10.chm as the help file for this object library. But at the same time, Excel 2007 installs an invalid (empty?) version of vbaxl10.chm. Why does the excel type library advertise an invalid file?

Luis

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hi Luis

Starting with Office 2007, most of the Help is accessed on-line, and that's the default. There's very little help delivered and installed with the product. Possibly it's not been installed on your test/development machine?

Start an Office 2007 application then press F1 to bring up "Help". Look at the lower right corner of the Help window. Do you see "Connected to Office online"? Go the Search button click the arrow and choose an entry under "Content from this computer". Do you get anything?

If you do, try checking whether there's a change in the *.chm files you were looking at before. You can also right-click any link in the Help window, choose "Properties" and see where the content is coming from (and it's never a *.chm file).

For more information on how Office Help is designed, I think the better place to ask would be the Technet forums for IT professionals.

• Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, February 11, 2011 8:52 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Thanks, Cindy.

It looks like I do have locally installed help already. When I select "show content only from this computer" in the lower-right-hand corner of the help viewer, and I then check the help source, I see something like ms-help://MS.EXCEL.12.1033/EXCEL/content/HP10047453.htm#2, which looks like a location in my computer.

Anyway, I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that Office 2007 no longer makes help available via .chm files. I still wish I had an answer as to why the empty chm files are being installed, and why the new type libraries still point to them, but I guess that's a moot point now.

Thanks,

Luis

Monday, February 7, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi Luis

As I said, you'd probably have to ask that in the TechNet forums as that's more a question of how Office is designed.

Monday, February 7, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Will do, thanks!
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:18 PM