C++/C# InterOp and gacutil/regasm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I am getting in the tough issue in my application. I hope I can get some advice from you. My application CatchAllMessages is mainly written in C++ and is used to catch messages from the internal network. I have many interfaces to display message data. But for some unlucky reason, we designed the new interface written in C# to catch a new message which has the different platform compared to messages caught in CatchAllMessages application. That's why I am using Interop to regsiter the C# DLL as the COM object.

What I did was to create the DataWrapper.cpp class( in DataWrapper project ) which translates some basic data of the message, such as IPAddress and the content of the message. Then, I created the NewMessage.cs( written in C#) in the NewMessage project. My NewMessage.cs class can catch the content of the message sent by the DataWrapper.cpp and then display to the NewMessage interface.

To open the NewMessage interface, I have to run the following DOS commands after compiling to produce CatchAllMessages.dll, DataWrapper.dll, and NewMessage.dll:

gacutil /i DataWrapper.dll CatchAllMessages\Debug

gacutil /i NewMessage.dll CatchAllMessages\Debug

regasm DataWrapper.dll /tlb:CatchAllMessages\Debug\com.DataWrapper.tlb

regasm NewMessage.dll /tlb:CatchAllMessages\Debug\com.NewMessage.tlb

Two tools, gacutil and regasm, are provided by .NET Framework 1.1.

After that, I execute my application CatchAllMessages from the .NET 2003 IDE. The code works fine. My problem is that I don't want the user to run those DOS commands. The user just needs to double click CatchAllMessages.exe to run the application.

Do you know any way to run those commands programmatically? I really appreciate your help and thank you for reading the message.

Jared.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:46 PM

Answers

• You need to add a reference to the assembly "System.EnterpriseServices" in the project's Add New References... dialog box.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:31 PM

All replies

• CreateProcess from the Windows SDK?
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:55 AM
  • I have found the Publish class which has GacInstall and RegisterAssembly method. However, I got the namespace error. As the document says, I have to include the namespace System.EnterpriseServices.Internal.

I included these:

#using <mscorlib.dll>

#using <System.dll>

using namespace System;

using namespace System::EnterpriseServices;

But the compiler says "EnterpriseServices can not be found".

Can you please tell me a solution?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:57 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I am using the CreateProcess to execute gacutil.exe, and it works. However, the DOS window appears for a second, then disappears. What can I do to not display the DOS window?

Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:12 PM
  • You need to add a reference to the assembly "System.EnterpriseServices" in the project's Add New References... dialog box.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:31 PM