WMA files no longer play C# Windows Store App 8.1 MediaElement used

Question

• My 8.1 app that was able to play WMA music type files cannot now?

I have it in the registered file content types as Always safe. It was set as audio/wma, .wma.

The app just hangs, does nothing. When running from code, no exceptions. The app just stalls. I see the music file location is correct, I see that it loads into my mediaElement. But nothing????

I've tried my app on a windows 8.1 desktop and Surface RTM.

I've changed nothing in my code. Ideas, thoughts? Thanx.

Monday, March 23, 2015 2:03 PM

Answers

• It seems that the Digital Music Rights is interfering with the playback. I purchased these songs via Zune, Zune was discontinued (as it seems many MS tech's go the way side which is VERY frustrating), and it destroyed the fact I owned the music! I'll now have to look into what to do about that now. Thanx.
    • Marked as answer by chrislynn Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM
    • Edited by chrislynn Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are using the MediaElement make sure to handle the MediaFailed event. If MediaFailed is not getting called then you can handle the CurrentStateChanged event to see what state the ME is in when it starts to hang.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, March 23, 2015 11:22 PM
  • Good suggestion, I was not implementing that.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 2:50 PM
  • It seems that the Digital Music Rights is interfering with the playback. I purchased these songs via Zune, Zune was discontinued (as it seems many MS tech's go the way side which is VERY frustrating), and it destroyed the fact I owned the music! I'll now have to look into what to do about that now. Thanx.
    • Marked as answer by chrislynn Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM
    • Edited by chrislynn Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:26 PM