none
Grandson deleted some files/programs. RRS feed

• Question

•    My 6 year old grandson comes to visit, and he loes to play games on the computer. Since he was 4 we have let him play the pinball  game that came in our start up of Windows XP along with Freecell, Solitaire, Hearts, etc.
       Somehow he did something that wiped out a section of programs. The only thing the little guy could tell me was it said MSN he thinks. Ever since when I click on start and go to games and click, it says Empty. I have also lost my toolbar icon for volume. When I go to control panel it says in order to put the icon on my toolbar I need to go to Add/Remove programs and add it. I haven't a clue what to add. There are a few other issues involved, but minor compared to these. If someone has a clue as to what he deleted and how I can retrieve it I'd be grateful. Thank you. I tried a restore, however it did not correct the problem. I'm using Windows XP Pro, service pack 3 & Internet Exployer 8. My ISP is AOL and I use Dial-up (56k)
    • Moved by SachinWModerator Friday, June 5, 2009 7:58 PM off topic (From:Social Bookmarks Discussion Forum)
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• I really don't know much about computers, but maybe a System Repair using your install cd will work. U will have to update everything again in Windows Update, but restores your computer without losing any files. May I also suggest that once u get all your stuff back in order 2 go into your control panel & go into user accounts & activate the visitor account (A very limited account, that won't let the user change anything messy) there & 2 maybe password protect the administrators account. The little guy will still b able 2 play his games, but not delete or change anything from there.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately there is not a current forum to post the question you are asking so I would recommend that you post you question to one of the 'microsoft.public.windowsxp.general' located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_us_0cc55ed7-e23e-4264-97e8-eb7d5a162b12&lang=en&cr=us

Hope that helps!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Step 1
    Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel. In Windows XP, click Start and then Control Panel.
    If the Control Panel window is empty, click View all Control Panel Options in the left section of the window to show all the icons.

Step 2
    Click Add/Remove Programs.

Step 3
    Click Add/Remove Windows Components, and double click Accessories and Utilities.

Step 4
    Double click Games.

Step 5
    Check Internet Games or the games you wish to install and click OK.

Friday, June 19, 2009 8:35 PM