Always on Listener port and connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• My MS SQL server default instance listen on port 1433.

While configuring the "basic availbilty group", I assigned a different port (xxxxx)to the AG listener.

In this case, will my application is able to connect with and without specifying the port number in the connection string. Is that how it is supposed to behave ?

Satheesh
    My Blog | How to ask questions in technical forum

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:05 AM

All replies

• My MS SQL server default instance listen on port 1433.

While configuring the "basic availbilty group", I assigned a different port (xxxxx)to the AG listener.

In this case, will my application is able to connect with and without specifying the port number in the connection string. Is that how it is supposed to behave ?

Satheesh

Since you have specified port number for AG listener which is not 1433 you need to specify the port no when connecting from application using listener. If you dont specify port number connection would not happen from app via listener.

Worth reading

AG group Listener Named Instances and port Numbers

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, March 3, 2018 7:42 AM
  • However i am seeing my app is still able to connect to the SQL instance with out specifying the port number for listener. Thats what made me start this thread, 

can you think of any reason why this would happen?

Satheesh

Monday, March 5, 2018 2:59 AM
  • However i am seeing my app is still able to connect to the SQL instance with out specifying the port number for listener. Thats what made me start this thread, 

can you think of any reason why this would happen?

Satheesh

Can you show me the connection string please ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, March 5, 2018 4:14 PM
  • This is what i have in my connection string

Data Source={Hostname};Initial Catalog={Databasename};Integrated Security=SSPI;

Or 

Data Source={Hostname},{port};Initial Catalog={Databasename};Integrated Security=SSPI;

app is able to connect using both connection string

Satheesh

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:21 AM
  • In above connection string where are you using Listener name ?. I guess you are connecting to SQL Server instance name of machine name and since it listens on default port it is directing you to instance in both the cases

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:11 PM
  • In above connection string where are you using Listener name ?. 

In both cases i tried with listener name and it connects. 

Satheesh

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:00 AM