Web Activity timeout property RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all!

I've seen interest in the Azure Data Factory documentation feedback regarding default Web Activity timeout.  As of now, the default timeout is 1 minute, and it cannot be changed. 

What has been the experience out there with this feature?  Should the timeout value be configurable?  Does a longer timeout make sense for this feature?

Here is a link to the documentation for context:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/control-flow-web-activity

Thanks so much for the interest, everyone!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason, I have been exposed to this issue using the WebActivity, my opinion in this should be a configurable setting (within reason).

In my example (and Im sure Im not the only one here), external systems are very important in data workflow, sadly, these systems cannot be optimised and we are stuck waiting for them to complete before continuing with the pipelines.

Making this field configurable would at least allow us to wait longer and not having consistent failures in the pipeline which are not actually failures.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:01 PM
  • Making this field configurable would at least allow us to wait longer and not having consistent failures in the pipeline which are not actually failures.

This is the exact same issue we have. Constant failures because the external system takes longer than one minute to excecute. Setting the timeout to 90 seconds instead of 60 seconds would solve this elegantly.
    • Edited by whaave Monday, July 30, 2018 6:39 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Please make this configurable. I'd like to call a API to pre-process my scripts before execution, but it may not always finish in time.

I may just have to create a until activity to keep asking for its state as a work around. Not very ideal...

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Hi there, 

This issue looks familiar and there is a feature request idea opened in Azure Data Factory product feedback forum. Please feel free to comment and/or up-vote if you agree with this feature request for increased visibility. 

User voice forum link: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/270578-data-factory/suggestions/34816909-please-add-support-to-specify-longer-timeout-for-w

Thank you.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:49 PM