Rectangle tool, rounded corners RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, pardon for being uninformed. I use the rectangle tool on an existing jpeg to create rounded corners. I save the file, there are no round corners. Get me started? ;)
    Russ Pittman
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:05 PM

Answers

• You can only round the corners of rectangles, not of images, unless you create a rectangle and fill it with the image. Try this: Create a rectangle and then click the Image Fill Type button (to the right of the Stroke tab on the Properties pane). You'll see an Import button appear below the favorite color swatches. Click the Import button, navigate to your image and click OK to fill the rectangle with the image. Use the Fill Transform button to adjust the size of the image so that it fits inside the rectangle. Use the slicer to round the corners of the rectangle. Select the rectangle object and export it.
    Annie
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I am not too familiar with ED2 but ED had ways of inserting image fills (Fred C knows how to do it I believe).

I'd try:

1 - import image

2 - draw a rounded rectangle

3 - select rounded rectangle the CTRL+C then CTRL+F to paste in front

4 - in layers panel select the lower of the two rounded rectangles AND the image object then make a clipper

5 - layers list should now amend the show two objects where once there were three

6 - select the upper object (it should be a rounded rectangle) and apply the stroke of your choice

7 - create a crop based on the selected rounded rectangle (this should crop in a way that will accommodate width of the applied stroke)

8 - export to bitmap format limiting the export to the cropped region only

In earlier variants of ED2 I preferred to work on a document set at 300 ppi and export out at a suitable ppi
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:59 PM

All replies

• You can only round the corners of rectangles, not of images, unless you create a rectangle and fill it with the image. Try this: Create a rectangle and then click the Image Fill Type button (to the right of the Stroke tab on the Properties pane). You'll see an Import button appear below the favorite color swatches. Click the Import button, navigate to your image and click OK to fill the rectangle with the image. Use the Fill Transform button to adjust the size of the image so that it fits inside the rectangle. Use the slicer to round the corners of the rectangle. Select the rectangle object and export it.
    Annie
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I am not too familiar with ED2 but ED had ways of inserting image fills (Fred C knows how to do it I believe).

I'd try:

1 - import image

2 - draw a rounded rectangle

3 - select rounded rectangle the CTRL+C then CTRL+F to paste in front

4 - in layers panel select the lower of the two rounded rectangles AND the image object then make a clipper

5 - layers list should now amend the show two objects where once there were three

6 - select the upper object (it should be a rounded rectangle) and apply the stroke of your choice

7 - create a crop based on the selected rounded rectangle (this should crop in a way that will accommodate width of the applied stroke)

8 - export to bitmap format limiting the export to the cropped region only

In earlier variants of ED2 I preferred to work on a document set at 300 ppi and export out at a suitable ppi
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Wahey!  You were quicker by a few seconds Annie!

I am not too confident about Image Fill, would the clipper still work on a bitmap object?
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:00 PM
  • A clipper would work. Thanks, deebs.
    Annie
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Tsk!  BBB?
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Those are some interesting suggestions. What I am observing here is that image import choices are limited to *.XML files and mine are jpeg or bmp? While I can open a jpeg, the only selection that I am given to save within is a *.design extension.
    I must be missing something? (again)
    Russ Pittman
    Monday, March 31, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Opppps (Surgeons never say oops, they say "THERE!"
    I have something now, thank you folks.
    Standbye for more "uninformed questions" .
    :)
    Russ Pittman
    Monday, March 31, 2008 12:59 AM
  • I'm looking forward to more questions. We love questions around here. :-) Fire away when ready!
    Annie
    Monday, March 31, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Annie, I am just heading out to the airport but I just wanted to let you know that I did it, with great grace and thanks much.

It looks Good. As a temporary parting question, I would like to know how BBB got that icon? I'm looking at it and its kewl!

(the ducky thing is just not manly enough for me with all due respect, maybe buzz lightyear would be more appropriate for me)
    Russ Pittman
    Monday, March 31, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Questions are great!  The range of answers tends to be quite wide and varied.

Re: BBB image

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1eqoxmaqpa9NBgDrreVm9ZPEHjFXf

merely transformations on copies using difference blend mode with gradient fills and modified opacity.

Some effects are not too predictable but interesting all the same
    Monday, March 31, 2008 2:58 AM
  • deebs
    your link is not active using copy paste works to open in explorer but if you want the link active you better use the hyper link manager here in this forum

this is Andrew s interesting site
    http://www.smartfills.com/
    Monday, March 31, 2008 11:38 AM
  • I'm not really sure how to use hyperlink manager. Any chance of some pointers?

BBB
    (the system won't let me change my profile as deebs is already in use (?))
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:13 PM
  • deebs,

Highlight the word or phrase you want to make into a link. Then click the hyperlink icon in the editor (third button from the right) and type the address in the hyperlink box and click OK to dismiss the dialog box.
    Annie
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Aha, thanks Annie!  I think I may have it here?

How about including images rather than links?
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Deebs
    in the sandbox forum there is an explanation on how to post images
    look in the sandbox forum
    test post an image
    you can try there
    BBB is good if you prefer Deebs you can always try if it accepts Deebs with a number or letter more
    greetings
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:36 AM

• This is lovely!

Thanks Germaine, Anna and Annie!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:35 PM