What a HUGE waste of money! RRS feed

• Question

• I just (March, 2011) purchased Expression Web 2 not realizing that it since has been replaced by two complete iterations, EW3 and EW4 and found that I purchased not only outdated software, but software that has been completely unbundled, deconstructed as it were, so that the basic version is virtually useless, and in order to get any advanced functionality, I should have purchased EW4 Studio, C#, .NET and a big, fluffy pile of add-ons.

Good work, Microsoft, you have succeeded in maximizing the vacuum cleaner aimed at my wallet and rendering useless what could have been much more intuitive and productive software.

Templates?  I'll give you three, or you can go build your own.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:31 PM

All replies

• Just return it. Get your money back.

You bought 3-year old software without doing any research. That ain't Microsoft's fault. Did you expect them to never make a new version just so you wouldn't feel outdated? All software changes over time, and the new versions have clearly been available online not just for purchase, but (like most major software) available for free download to try it out. You can hardly blame Microsoft just because you didn't check at the source.

How much did you pay? Everybody under the sun qualifies for the discounted price. It would be hard not to meet the requirements for the discount.

If you don't need the whole EW studio package, there's no reason to buy it. Besides, you can't "buy" C# and .NET anyway. If you want to do coding, or work with SQL, download Microsoft's free Visual Studio 2010 Express. Works great for code behind with WE doing the design work.

Caveat emptor, eh?

A Wisconsin parable:
    A Billionair­e CEO, a tea partier and a union worker are sitting around a table with a dozen cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies for himself and then tells the tea partier that the union member is after some of "his" cookie.
    Would you like some Koch with that cookie?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Guess you didn't do your homework then did you? A quick visit to this site would have shown you not only the current version but also allowed you to get a trial version to make sure it did what you wanted.

FYI, I have the full Ultimate Studio and almost never open anything except Expression Web. I don't "do" Silverlight and use Fireworks for my web graphics. Encoder I use to take videos created in Camtasia and encode them for streaming via Silverlight.

BTW, if all you want to do is witch & whine go ahead but this is a user to user forum - notice the "social" in the URL? 

You don't have to "buy" ASP.NET (dotnet framework & C#), its free from MS and if you want an IDE to use for code behind get either Visual Web Developer Expression or Web Matrix - both of which are FREE from Microsoft, plus there are other free IDEs out there for other devleopment platforms.

Frankly, the web templates that come with every web editor I've ever owned (I've been creating websites since 1993 and ran a web technologies user group for 5 years so that is a whole boatload of web editiors I've used over the last 20 years)  are so limited I've always created my own. Some of which are available free along with basic layouts ready for folks to use their own graphics with, links in the Gallery section of this site for some of them. Links in the Before Posting Sticky to free tutorials and those same sites frequently have free templates on them.

So forgive me if I think your problem is self created not Microsoft created.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:09 AM
  • I find it strange that you blame MS for continuing to develop EW because you didn't bother to research the program - including knowing what version is current, and downloading the trial to see if it was what you wanted.  I assure you, MS did not tell you that EW2 is the current version.

I'm also finding it hard to understand how adding some additional programs into the package (ones you may or may not even use, and which are not required for developing a website) "deconstructed" the original.  That would require a reversal of the timestream.

As for templates:  EW is a professional level tool.  Some very basic templates were provided for convenience (and you are expected to modify them to suit you if you use them), but there is no reason to expect it to contain a large gallery of templates.  Microsoft is not designing your site for you.  (It is not a sitebuilder, such as Intuit Sites.)  If you do want to start from templates, find them: free or for purchase, they're out there.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:34 AM
  • So you didn't do any basic investigation into what you ACTUALLY needed then? Hmm...

Mart
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Chef Bob, I don't think you know what you are talking about. I'm not even sure you're on the right message board, purchase C#, .NET???? Those are free obviously and not add-ons.

Templates, huh? EW isn't really for people looking for "templates", there is beginner software for that sort of need. EW is meant to compete with Dreamweaver, not FrontPage.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:43 AM
  • The key question here is: Where did you buy Expression Web 2? To my knowledge this version went off shelves two years ago and is no longer available for purchase.

As to the statement that it was a waste of money and that it didn't have what you were looking for, consider this: The only viable alternative to Expression Web is Adobe Dreamweaver which costs about 3 times as much and gives you roughly the same thing. In other words, a purchase of the competition would be an even bigger waste of money.

You should return the Expression Web 2 kit to whomever you bought it from and inform them they are selling grossly outdated software. Then get the free trial version of Expression Studio 4 to make sure it's actually what you want. The Expression Studio suite (and Expression Web in particular) are a bunch of excellent tools, but only if they are what you actually need. That's what trials are for.

Morten Rand-Hendriksen - Microsoft MVP (Expression) and WordPress Adept Design is Philosophy | Teach Yourself Expression Web in 24 Hours
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:05 PM
  • You can still buy it on Amazon for $42, if you do so before the last 10 in stock are gone, but only if you choose to ignore the prominant [OLD VERSION] tag beside the name.

And, hey for $42, someone might want to buy it.  After all, it's not as if you can't still use EW2 to create sites, contrary to what the OP seems to think.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Perhaps you were looking for a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) style software package. There are those types of programs out there and they do make it simple for putting together a simple website. The hosting companies also provide packages where you can use thier online templates and make a website in a few minutes.

Expression Web 3 and 4 are for those of us who are professionals (or at least think we are) building and designing web applications from scratch. I began building websites with the WYSIWYG software packages then moved to Front Page. Then came Dreamweaver and it ran circles around FP. Expression Web and it's sister utilites are an answer to those of us that like to use the Microsoft Products competing with the Adobe's DW product.

There is a bit of learning to do to use EW but I like to think it is easier to master than DW. There are many tutorials out there on the web on how to design with EW2 still. I do not know your skill level but a good knowledge of HTML and other web languages are needed when not using WYSIWYG software.

I am sorry you feel you wasted your money but you could've spent 149.00 on EW4 or 399.00 on DW and have been just as displeased thinking you could put a website together without the knowledge required to use it. The nice thing about these Forums are that you can get help and learn how to use the software from those of us who have been using it for sometime.

webcreator1
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:30 PM