none
How to send single 997 acknowledgement message with multiple transactions sets information in it? RRS feed

• Question

• We receive single 875 document with multiple transaction sets in it. We send 997 acknowledgement for the same. The issue is, when we receive single 875 document with 5 transaction sets in it, we are able to send 5 separate 997 acknowledgements(each one contain AK9*A*5*1*1). we want to send single acknowledgement that must include a confirmation that we received 5 transaction sets(expected AK9*A*5*5*5). We are on BizTalk 2009. Is this supported? If yes, could someone help us how to get this done?

Fyi, We did not check 'Do not batch 997' in 'Validation and ACK generation' tab.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sandeep

Friday, July 31, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your response. So you say that there is no way we can send a single acknowledgement for multiple transaction sets received.

That's how it works if all the transaction sets, ST...SE, are in the same Functional Group, GS...GE.  The 997 is an acknowledgement for the Functional Group, not a Transaction Set.

You cannot change that behavior otherwise the Sender (receiver of the 997) will likely not be able to process the 997 since the counts will not match.

If you are asking if you can group 997 for different Functional Groups into a single 997, no, that would be an invalid 997.

Again, BizTalk will always, always, no exceptions ever, product the correct 997.  So, don't worry about it.

To be perfectly clear, you can send multiple 997's in a single Interchange, ISA...IEA, and you can batch 997's using the Batching Service like any other transaction.  So, yes, you can multiple 997's in a single EDI message.

• Proposed as answer by MohammedAfsar Monday, August 3, 2015 7:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, August 10, 2015 1:59 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 1:49 AM
  • For clarity, BizTalk will generate a 997 transaction for each Functional Group (GS...GE), not Transaction Set (ST...SE).  This the X12 Spec and there is no way to change this behavior since it would break the receiver.

Meaning, BizTalk will always produce the correct 997.

The "Do not batch 997" affects weather the EDI Disassembler will emit Interchanges (ISA...IEA) for each 997 (GS/ST...SE/GE) or group all 997's in a single ISA/GS...GE/IEA.  Either pattern is perfectly valid.

I guarantee, the 997 is correct and valid.

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:27 PM

All replies

• For clarity, BizTalk will generate a 997 transaction for each Functional Group (GS...GE), not Transaction Set (ST...SE).  This the X12 Spec and there is no way to change this behavior since it would break the receiver.

Meaning, BizTalk will always produce the correct 997.

The "Do not batch 997" affects weather the EDI Disassembler will emit Interchanges (ISA...IEA) for each 997 (GS/ST...SE/GE) or group all 997's in a single ISA/GS...GE/IEA.  Either pattern is perfectly valid.

I guarantee, the 997 is correct and valid.

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:27 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your response. So you say that there is no way we can send a single acknowledgement for multiple transaction sets received. Could you provide any supporting links for information regarding the same?

Thanks once again,

Sandeep

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

"There is only one Functional Acknowledgment Transaction Set per acknowledged functional group."

Refer: 997 Functional Acknowledgment

Also refer, Sending an EDI Acknowledgment

"A 997 acknowledgment is used to acknowledge receipt of an interchange or a functional group, to accept or reject one or more functional groups or one or more transactions, and to verify and report compliance with the standard. If BizTalk Server receives an interchange with multiple groups, it will return an acknowledgment for each group. If a group contains multiple transaction sets, the acknowledgment for that group will contain multiple AK2 loops, one for each transaction set, depending upon whether AK2 loops are generated for accepted transaction sets. For more information on the contents of a 997 acknowledgment, see X12 997 Acknowledgment."

X12 997 Acknowledgment

Hope these links helps!

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

• Proposed as answer by ssimon11 Monday, August 3, 2015 10:33 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for your response. So you say that there is no way we can send a single acknowledgement for multiple transaction sets received.

That's how it works if all the transaction sets, ST...SE, are in the same Functional Group, GS...GE.  The 997 is an acknowledgement for the Functional Group, not a Transaction Set.

You cannot change that behavior otherwise the Sender (receiver of the 997) will likely not be able to process the 997 since the counts will not match.

If you are asking if you can group 997 for different Functional Groups into a single 997, no, that would be an invalid 997.

Again, BizTalk will always, always, no exceptions ever, product the correct 997.  So, don't worry about it.

To be perfectly clear, you can send multiple 997's in a single Interchange, ISA...IEA, and you can batch 997's using the Batching Service like any other transaction.  So, yes, you can multiple 997's in a single EDI message.

• Proposed as answer by MohammedAfsar Monday, August 3, 2015 7:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, August 10, 2015 1:59 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Thanks Rachet and John for sharing the information and clearing all doubts. Very useful
    Monday, August 3, 2015 10:33 AM
  • I am having this same issue...

When a batched 875 comes in from a customer, 5 different 997 are being returned. If I point the location to my local machine, drop the batched file in to be process through biztalk I get the 997 I am expecting...see below(I removed the ISA,GS, GE, IEA segments).

ST*997*2834?
    AK1*OG*3040?
    AK2*875*03040001?
    AK5*A?
    AK2*875*03040002?
    AK5*A?
    AK2*875*03040003?
    AK5*A?
    AK2*875*03040004?
    AK5*A?
    AK2*875*03040005?
    AK5*A?
    AK9*A*5*5*5?
    SE*14*2834?

Can you help me understand why the customer is not getting this, but instead getting 5 seprate 997??

Thanks!

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:44 PM
  • We would have to see the customer 875.

Is there more then one GS...GE in the Interchange?

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:13 PM
  • no. there is only 1 GS/GE, but there are 5 different ST/SE sections.

the customer says we are the only ones that send it incorrectly, so there has so be a setting for this to work.

How about this...what should the "Inbound batch processing option" be set to? Right now, "Split Interchange as Transaction Sets - suspend Transaction Sets on Error" is selected? Should I change this to Preserve?

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:57 PM
  • The batch processing option affects debatching at the ST level.  The 997 is still generated by FG.

Can you share the EDI your customer is getting?  Do the Group Identifiers match?

From the previous post, BizTalk is generating the correct 997.  You can stop the customer's send and examine the Xml before port processing.

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:42 PM