none
Not finding a way insert an activeX control on MEW4, though I could in frontpage 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on a Fanuc Robot, and making some custom screens for the pendant to link to KAREL Variables. I have some old screens with activeX control buttons that I am using for reference. These were created with Frontpage 2003, are *.stm files, and display perfectly fine on MEW4. Though when I make a new page, I cannot for the life of me find where I can add an activeX control! I just can't make a new button with the control, I can only copy and paste an old button with an ActiveX control. This is really frustrating, as this should be as simple as "Insert ->Advanced -> ActiveX Control" as it was in Frontpage.

Below is a picture of what I want to add. I feel like I am not doing something very basic. Thanks for the help!

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:06 PM

All replies

• There is no generalized "insert activeX" in EW.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Ok thanks for letting me know, but looking at the picture above, you can see that I am looking at linking that field with a dataset, that happens to be linked by an activeX control. Would you know how to go about adding something like that? I could just keep copying-and-pasting, but it limits me to one style button and one return field.

Thanks 

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Why are you using EW for this?

EW is designed and marketed as a tool for building standards-compliant websites. Period. It's not a tool to build controls for Fanuc Robots or web apps. It's not even a tool to do much code-behind work. For that there are other tools like Visual Studio and the free VS Express programs.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Because it's also being marketed as the replacement for FrontPage, and FrontPage is what Fanuc programmers use to make custom screens for their iPendants.

I understand what you are saying, but even the technical reference manuals from Fanuc USA all reference FrontPage when making custom screens. But maybe my logic is flawed in assuming that a replacement should be able to do very basic things such as what I am trying to do, with additional functionality due to continued development.

My specialty is robotic languages, not HTML. I am not, nor portray myself to be anything but a novice when it comes to that. This is why I need a user-friendly way to do a simple task. I didn't think that it was much to ask.

But I will look into what you suggested. Thank you

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Brian, you are the first post that I can recall in this forum, in all the years of the various versions of EW, that is talking about that functionality.

EW is a replacement for FP as a web design tool - which is what FP was, too.  If you could do what you are talking about with FP,  I suggest you keep using FP for that.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Kathy, I figure that what I am looking to do is a very obscure application. I will have to explore other avenues than EW I guess. I just had my fingers crossed :)

The whole issue for me, is that my IT department will not allow any unsupported software on our computers. And even finding a legitimate copy of FP 03 is proving difficult. I guess I will have to appeal to a higher power to force them to let me find a copy of FP, and install it. I can't complete my job without it!

Thanks for everyones help, I'll just find a copy of FP.

-Brian

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:29 PM
  • http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FrontPage-2003-Old-Version/dp/B0000AZJV8

There you go, although the sellers are asking very high prices: supply and demand at its finest, I guess.

Make sure the OS you are running will play nice with FrontPage.  It was marketed when XP was the new thing.  At least one of the suppliers has a "if it doesn't work for you, we refund" policy.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:20 PM