"Detect when file is changed outside the environment" with junction point

Question

• Tobias,

Have you had any luck with this? I have the same situation where I have a file in junction that visual studio has open. If I change the original file on disc, Visual Studio doesn't recognize that the file in the junction has changed and reload it.

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012

Version 11.0.050727.1 RTMREL

Thanks,

Bryan

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

I split your post of into a new thread so it can get appropriate attention. While your symptom may be similar, the original issue was a pre-release bug which was fixed before RTM.

If you can provide more details about your exact setup and symptoms we can look into your specific issue. I would also recommend upgrading to Visual Studio Update 2 and check if it fixed the problem.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:20 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

I will try Update 2.

My setup:

I have one directory with files in it: c:\project1\test.cpp. I create a junction to another location: mklink /J c:\project2\project1 c:\project1. In Visual Studio I open c:\project2\project1\test.cpp. In an external program I modify c:\project1\test.cpp and save the file. I switch back to Visual Studio and it does nocognize that c:\project2\project1\test.cpp has been modified externally. I have verified that it does check for files being modified externally. If I have c:\project1\test.cpp open and modify it externally, Visual Studio updates the file correctly. The problem is when the file is in a junction.

I hope this gives a clear enough reproduction to help track down the problem.

Thanks,

Bryan

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:38 AM
  • The problem is still happening after installing Update 2. Let me know if I can provide more information to help resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Bryan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:42 PM