What about XNA?

Question

• I've been keeping an eye on Windows 8 Build news, but haven't seen anything on the matter, so pardon me with this has already been addressed by Ms...

How XNA is going to work on Windows 8?
    Can i use it while developing winRT apps, or it will be stuck with the win32 library?
    Will XNA and the .Net framework be ported to arm, or these apps are only going to be avaiable to x86/x64 users?
    Will XNA embrace XAML like it already does on WP7 mango?
    Will XNA games be accepted on the App Store?
    If they are, will indie games be merged with them?

That's all for now, thank you :P

• Moved by BillFillMicrosoft employee Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:32 AM dev question (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Although you can't use XNA in a Metro style application with the Developer Preview (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136(v=VS.85).aspx), you can use DirectX 11.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Simple-Direct3D-111-Game-b18d89cb

Keep in mind that that Metro Style applications are not intended to replace all desktop applications.  There are certain types of applications that lend themselves to the Metro style.  The following link has more information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211386(v=VS.85).aspx

I don't believe there has been any announcement about XNA on the ARM platform.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:45 PM
  • The "not for all types of apps" statement doesn't jive with explaining away XNA since 1) games are a very clear example of immersive consumptive consumer experiences and 2) directx *is* supported for creating the types of apps that people use xna for.
    Robert Levy
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:42 AM
  • Ok, we can't use xna with a Windows Developer Preview Application, but does that mean XNA won't be compatible with winRT by the time win8 ships? (I undertand it's not announced either way yet, and that means i will probably not get an answer, but i have to ask :P)

I don't like the idea of going back to pure directx and c++ after all the trouble, both at Ms part in developing the platform as for developers in embracing it, so i really hope that win8 supports xna or any equivalent managed framework, which allows to develop metro apps and that runs on arm...

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:11 AM
  • We definitely need XNA in Windows 8 Metro Application Development. It's the most modern and easy to grasp game development framework we are using across many platforms we develop our games and the productivity of C# adds a lot as well. Especially with the inclusion of Windows Store, it's the best opportunity for indie devs such as us to quickly and easily develop games targeting Windows 8. We would feel very sad and disappointed if our only option is to use DirectX with C++.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:34 AM
  • I wanted to follow up on this. XNA Game Studio remains the premier tool for developing compelling games for both Xbox LIVE Indie Games and Windows Phone 7. There are already more than 70 Xbox LIVE games on Windows Phone and over 2000 published Xbox LIVE Indie titles built with XNA. While the XNA Game Studio framework does not currently support the creation of Metro style games, Windows 8 offers game developers the choice to develop games in the language they are most comfortable with, at the complexity level they desire, with the option to utilize a huge variety of third party tools and libraries. If you want to program in managed C#, you can. If you want to write directly to DirectX in C++, you can. Or if you want the ease of use, flexibility, and broad reach of HTML and Javascript, you can use that as well. In addition, the new Windows 8 Store opens up a means for easily publishing Metro style games to a large audience.

You might find this a useful resource also.

Migrating a Windows Phone 7 app to XAML
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136(v=VS.85).aspx

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Let's make this discussion a bit more concrete so the product teams understand the key scenarios here and we get beyond the fluff like "you can still do what you currently do" (we want to do more) and "C# developers can just switch to XAML" (an absurd suggestion because XAML is awesome for many things but it's clearly not intended for serious games).   Windows 8 brings some awesome things to the table that XNA developers should be able to tap into.  Specifically... using XNA, I would like to build a game that:

1) Can be found and purchased in the app store along side DirectX/XAML/HTML games, including the full range of licensing options and the ability to up-sell additional features

2) Can take advantage of single-sign-on to immediately access the user's Xbox Live profile, avatar, friends, leaderboards, achievements, etc.

3) Can present 1 or more live tiles on the Start screen to show things like high scores, leaderboard changes, recent friends' scores, and multiplayer alerts like game invites or its-your-turn

4) Can present notifications to the user while they are in other Metro apps for many of the same things above

5) Can store user preferences, game progress, etc in a way that gets automatically roamed to their devices

6) Can easily read from the devices sensors for location, orientation, etc

7) Can have images imported via the (incredible) Metro file picker and used as textures

8) Can have friends selected via the Contact picker to send game invitations

9) Can render sexy 3d graphics into my Metro XAML UI

10) Can leverage the "pointer" input abstraction

There are surely other scenarios but these are all fairly compelling, IMHO.  Either they'll be enabled with Win8  XNA vNext or they won't... If many of these things aren't enabled, XNA developers will rightly feel like they're getting screwed over - especially because many of them became XNA developers about a year ago when it was announced that Windows Phone 7 was dropping support for C++/DirectX (around since early PocketPC days) in favor of C#/XNA.

Robert Levy
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Indeed. It is rather absurd to expect indie developers to embrace DirectX, especially since DX 11 has abysmal support for assets (compared with XNA's content pipeline), 2D rendering is far more complex than the SpriteBatch and smart pointers and C++0x goodness is still much harder to work with than a garbage collector. And please, stop implying that you can use "C#": C# is no good for game development without a powerful underlying framework, and building an engine in C++ ain't it.

Also, there are many teaching institutions that use XNA as a powerful tool to teach game programming. I have personally pushed as a MS academic consultant lots of XNA-based curricula around Italy. Should XNA become incompatible with Windows 8 (and being unable to build Metro apps figures as incompatibility to a lot of people, myself included) then many of these courses would instantly switch to Unity, thereby weakening MS's strong stance with developers.

We really need a clear answer about the future of XNA, and this answer better be "it's going to be fully compliant with DX 11 and Metro" or MS will lose one of its most loved and respected frameworks :)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:44 PM
  • 1) XNA will work same as other desktop application on windows 8. First I was concerned that I maylose my old development skills for windows 8, infact it is not the case.

All old development skills will be applicable as they were in windows 7.

2) I have not seen any solid response from MS on this topic. (Currently not) So we will have to wait for retail versions.

3) Logically .Net will be ported to winRT but have not seen any response from MS for XNA. So we will have to wait for retail versions.

4) I have not seen any response from MS on this. Silverlight 5 support 3D development like XNA which is another area to look into.

5) I have not seen any solid response from MS on this topic. So we will have to wait.

It is will be great to invest in DirectX and C++. There are many free and commerical game libraries available for C++ which will help in speedy development for Games etc.

I am really excited for Windows 8 Metro interface development and happy to see that all my exisiting skills C#,ASP.net, MFC etc are still applicable so no worries!!!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:13 AM
  • I've installed the release preview of  Windows 8 and after some minor trouble with Games for Windows Client, I did get XNA 4.0 installed as well.

I have also run my game in development on Windows 8 successfully.  So, at least the XNA framework is supported.

However, I have yet to get any of my XNA projects to load into VS 11.  I realize VS 11 is new and incomplete, but I would appreciate a solid answer on MS's plans for the future of XNA.

• Proposed as answer by Paulrm100 Friday, July 06, 2012 2:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paulrm100 Friday, July 06, 2012 2:23 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 1:57 PM
  • After 4 years to create my zombie crossing game for xbox and wp7 I have had much experience of being bent over and taken by MS over and over. So, this is completely expected.  Unfortunatly, I have 15 years of specialization in their technology so I and probably all who reads this, will just continue to take it again and again. CE, PPC, Silverlight, and now, XNA, Xaml.... It's sort of like being in a special MS jail.  To throw some salt in my wounds, XNA wasn't really very good to begin with, I was forced to use it!

My biggest hope was that I could launch my game to the win8 app store where it may not be a ghost town like the other ms app stores.  I will be first to admit the shortcommings of my game and my own failures, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the most advanced looking 3d phone games ever made (**IMHO**) and I am very proud of what I did. However, it has yet to even come close to cracking 5 digit profits after 6 months on xbox and wp7 combined.  Reality = I would have done better mowing lawns.  I will never, ever, give up but perhaps I should use Unity for my next version even though I rather take a punch directly to my face.

R.J.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I just started using this framework a few months ago...it's my hope to be an MS Platform developer. Please MS.

Want to create Fantasy Game ><

Thursday, August 02, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Perfect response.  Yeah, I like how I invested 5 years teaching XNA+3D+Animation and Microsoft just shrugs and essentially says: "WTF? Re do it in  C++ and Direct3D".  I spent the summer converting a 2D XNA game over to C++/DirectX and after that horrible experience, forget about 3D!  The whole content pipeline is missing.  You have to do your own skinned model processing and animation classes and so on and so forth.  You have to worry about pointers and references and handles.  Disgusting :-)

Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:59 PM