none
Unable to Restore an Enterprise wiki site collection which is using Managed Navigation & Friendly URL. Error:- loading navigation: The Managed Navigation term set is improperly attached to the site. RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on sharepoint server 2013, and i have added an Enterprise wiki site collection and i enable the managed navigation + Friendly URL. now whenever i create a new enterprise wiki page a navigation term will be created automatically. so when i access my Site Setting>> site Navigation. i got the following:-

enter image description here

where i have navigation terms created under the "Site Navigation".

Now due to some issues where our designer made some bugs layout modifications, i wanted to restore my enterprise wiki site collection from a backup file which i took today.

so i run the following command to restore from a backup file:-

Restore-SPSite http://server_name/sites/site_name -Path C:\Backup\site_name.bak

Now the restore completed successfully. but when i access the site collection i got this error :-

Error loading navigation: The Managed Navigation term set is improperly attached to the site. 
    and when i access my Site Settings >> Navigation , i can not find the Site Navigation terms. here is how the site navigation looks like:-

enter image description here

so please can any one advice , how i can re-connect my site collection with the old terms ?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is by design that the local terms will not be able to accessed when backing up and restoring the site collection.

The reason for this is that the ACL for the Term Set uses the Site GUID and if the Sites GUID changes, it will not have access to its Site Collection Term Store.

We can use PowerShell script to solve this issue, please check the script in the link below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fromthefield/2014/10/13/backuprestore-spsite-and-the-missing-term-set/

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 28, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Victoria Xia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Victoria Xia

now i tried the appraoch mentioned in this link:-

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fromthefield/2014/10/13/backuprestore-spsite-and-the-missing-term-set/

where i try executing the following powershell script:-

$TermSetGUID = "5A7D7D22-1946-4F3C-BFCB-61AFA9A28C19"
    $Site = Get-SPSite "http://t***1/kb/sites"
    $TermSet = Get-SPTaxonomySession -Site $Site
    $Group = $TermSet.DefaultSiteCollectionTermStore.Groups | Where {$_.Id -eq $TermSetGUID}
    $Group.AddSiteCollectionAccess($Site.Id)
    $Group.TermStore.CommitAll()

but i got this exception :-

Exception calling "AddSiteCollectionAccess" with "1" argument(s): "The current
    user has insufficient permissions to perform this operation."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $Group.AddSiteCollectionAccess($Site.Id)
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccessException

now the error is mentioning that i do not have sufficient permissions.... but i run the power-shell script using the farm account (as administrator) which have dbo owner permission on all the sharepoint databases including the managed metadata service database .... so can you advice on this please?
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi John,

The account who run the script needs to be a member of the Owners group in the site that contains the term set.

Please use an account who is a member of the Owners SharePoint group on the site that contains the term set instead.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:18 AM
  • Hi Victor,

I am having the exact same error. I already added the user to the Owners group of the site but issue still persists. Is this what you mean...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Exception calling "AddSiteCollectionAccess" with "1" argument(s): "The current
    user has insufficient permissions to perform this operation."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $Group.AddSiteCollectionAccess($Site.Id)
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccessException

Thanks,

M.A.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:47 PM