none
Mobile Device Management Protocol specification for Windows Phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can you direct me where to get the MDM protocol specification document for developing the MDM Provider ( Server ) for managing Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT devices.

regards,

Rajesh

• Moved by Eric Fleck Friday, November 2, 2012 6:44 PM Protocols Question. (From:Developing for Windows Phone)
    Friday, November 2, 2012 6:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for your question about Mobile Device Management for Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.  The Open Specifications documentation set doesn't specifically address Mobile Device Management, however, I would refer you to the following two resources:

1) Windows Phone 8 is here and ready for business! - this has some links to PDF documents that talk about MDM for Windows Phone 8

2) Exchange Server Protocol Documents - this is where you can find the Exchange ActiveSync protocol specifications.  The above PDF's refer to EAS.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, November 2, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the details. I have gone through the documents but it does exposes the device management only using Exchange Server, but it doesn't provided any details for managing the Apps and Enterprise Reporting. As per Windows Phone 8 device and app management session we are looking for the technical details for managing windows phone 8 other than using Exchange Server i.e we need to manage the windows phone with the inbuilt native mobile device management client by implementing the MDM Server.

regards,

Rajesh

Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Hi Rajesh,

The Open Specifications team is investigating this further and will post again shortly.  Thanks for your patience. 

Tom

Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Rajesh,

I am looking ionto this for you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Tom & Bryan,

Thanks for the response. I am looking for an update on protocol specification. 

regards,

Rajesh

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Rajesh,

The MDM Protocol is out of scope for our specification libraries.  Windows RT is a new operating system on an ARM based chipset.  As such, a Windows RT tablet is different from a Windows 8 system and, as you cited, a Windows RT system is more similar to a Windows Phone.  You can create solutions to manage Windows RT devices through settings supported through Exchange ActiveSync.   ISVs can set Exchange ActiveSync policies for Windows RT devices via Exchange or Office 365.  The blog post “Managing "BYO" PCs in the enterprise (including WOA)” at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/04/19/managing-quot-byo-quot-pcs-in-the-enterprise-including-woa.aspx may also be of interest to you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Most of the MDM specifications are of course public:

http://technical.openmobilealliance.org/Technical/Comments.aspx

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:36 PM