Flow chart designer - modify start activity appearance? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to change the appearance of the start activity (i.e. the green circle) in the Flow chart designer?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• @Notre,

The green start node is not a customizable piece fo the flowchart designer.  What you will find is that we have made the system extensible and adjustable, but the individual activity designers themselves are not as extensible.  One imagine a flowchart designer which allowed a developer to inject a new layout routine, or customize the templates of individual visual elements.  The current plan for the flowchart designer is not to ahve that level of extensibilty in this release.

We will update the visual to be something a little cleaner than the one in beta1.

What is your scenario for needing to change it, and what would you want to change it to?

Thanks,

matt
    Program Manager -- wf designer -- http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle
    • Marked as answer by Notre Monday, July 20, 2009 9:37 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Notre,
    Currently we don't provide that level of interaction in VS 2010 with the in-the-box activities. When designing a custom activity you can provide your own UI experience. Also, if you rehost the designer you can try changing some of the styles to change the appearance of the toolbox activities.

Thanks,
    Amy

Monday, July 13, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Actually, one of the lab exercises (Workflow Designer Programming Model - Exercise 4: Building a Composite Activity designer) demonstrates how to change the visual appearance of an 'in-box' activity, TryCatch.  Can you verify that the green start activity appearance cannot likewise be changed?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hi Notre,
    I'll check into that for you as it was my understanding that the in-the-box activities weren't customizable.

Thanks,
    Amy

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:35 PM
  • @Notre,

The green start node is not a customizable piece fo the flowchart designer.  What you will find is that we have made the system extensible and adjustable, but the individual activity designers themselves are not as extensible.  One imagine a flowchart designer which allowed a developer to inject a new layout routine, or customize the templates of individual visual elements.  The current plan for the flowchart designer is not to ahve that level of extensibilty in this release.

We will update the visual to be something a little cleaner than the one in beta1.

What is your scenario for needing to change it, and what would you want to change it to?

Thanks,

matt
    Program Manager -- wf designer -- http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle
    • Marked as answer by Notre Monday, July 20, 2009 9:37 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Hi Matt,

In most of my questions, I have pretty concrete ideas for the use cases I'd like to explore.  In this particular question, it's more a question of 'can it be done', and if it can then I might find a use for it.  I haven't heard any requirements from my user base whether changing the start image would be desirable, but I thought I would fire off a question to ask since I thought of it. 

Changing the appearance of some of the built in activities (other than the top level flow chart activity designer), such as what is demonstrated in the TryCatch exercise, has much more immediate value, I think.

Thanks,

Notre
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:36 PM
  • matt,

is it possible to change the appaerance of custom activity designers? If so, could you provide an example?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Namo, see the 3 links I give in my post on this thread (scroll down to bottom, AFTER the original answer post):
    Custom composite activity designer
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfprerelease/thread/a533afe3-9106-4992-a0fb-13863edb9779

Especially note the third link, Workflow Designer Programming Model, which shows how to customize appearance of a Prompt Activity, the built-in Try-Catch activity, and a PrePostSequence composite activity.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:58 AM