none
Oauth (Google) Authentication / Authorisation for WCF SOAP Service RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone point me  there a tutorial on how to add OAuth ( Google) Authentication  & subsequently  Authorisation into a WCF SOAP service

Thank you

Richard

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Edward

Many thanks for your efforts with this.  I have tried numerous suggestions with WCF from a variety of sources,  & they have all been problematic.   

The simplest approach, which I have been able to get working is post the data to a WEBAPI controller, which I have tweaked to consume SOAP.  

Thanks again

Richard

Richard

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

There is no office document about this, I suggest you try to check whether below links are helpful to you.

# Using OAuth2 with SOAP

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mrochon/2015/11/19/using-oauth2-with-soap/

# OAuth and WCF SOAP service

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28846695/oauth-and-wcf-soap-service

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 7, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hi Edward

Thanks for this.  The advice in the article seemed to be that this was non-standard & a bit 'hacky'.  

I am not wedded to Oauth if there's a more supported way to do this. Its just that Oauth is cited as the normal way to pass tokens after Google Authentication. It does not even have to be WCF , if in 2017 there is a more flexible way to write a SOAP service.  

The bottom line is that

1. I am having to create a new SOAP service, which will need authentication & authorisation protection.  
    2. That SOAP service will be called from a 3rd party application, which uses Google Authentication.  

I have already implemented Google Auth in an MVC app, and am looking for a way of validating a passed in Google credential in SOAP.  

Thanks again

Richard

Friday, July 7, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Hi Richard,

>> I am having to create a new SOAP service, which will need authentication & authorisation protection

What authentication did you want? WCF supported many authentication modes like UserName password, windows authentication.

>> That SOAP service will be called from a 3rd party application, which uses Google Authentication.

WCF could be access from other application which supports SOAP, it is not related with the authentication of 3<sup>rd</sup> party application.

>> I have already implemented Google Auth in an MVC app, and am looking for a way of validating a passed in Google credential in SOAP

It seems you still need to Google authentication in WCF, if so, please check my above links. But as the community said. The Google OAuth is not standard authentication for WCF, but you could implement it by yourself if you really need.

Best Regards,

Edward 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 7, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Is there any issue with this thread? If there is, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 10, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Hi Edward

Many thanks for your efforts with this.  I have tried numerous suggestions with WCF from a variety of sources,  & they have all been problematic.   

The simplest approach, which I have been able to get working is post the data to a WEBAPI controller, which I have tweaked to consume SOAP.  

Thanks again

Richard

Richard

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Hi Richard,

I am glad you have achieved this by Web API, and I would suggest you mark your reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:01 AM