Marketplace Search and Keywords RRS feed

• Question

• I would like "Windows Phone Team" clarification about the Marketplace usage of app "keywords" for searching.

Here's the thing.

I have just published my weather app (Weather To-Go - 347fea01-a5a6-48ae-afb4-892ecf6a5320) and it has appeared on the Marketplace which I can see for my market - Denmark, and assume it has worked for all others too, although I can't see that.

I of course used the keyword "weather" for this app, along with "gps" and since I had localized for Denmark I included a Denmark-specfic keyword as well: "vejr".

Now, if I search the Marketplace on my phone for "vejr" I get a small list of around 10 apps which includes mine - so this keyword is working ok.

If I search using "weather" or "gps" however, in both cases I get a list of 50 apps exactly, which does not include mine :-(. Also this 50 seems to be the same apps every time, in the same order.

So, clearly the search result for keywords is throttled at 50 items, right?

But how will my app ever appear in that list? If a user cannot find my weather app when searching for "weather" I have a real discoverability problem - it almost may as well not be there. Also, from a user point of view they always see the same apps no matter how many are actually present, so its not good for them either.

So how is this working in a fair way, to allow everyone's apps to be seen in such a search? Are this 50 rotating in some way to give everyone a fair shot? Please tell me its not fixed by some "first-come-first-served" basis and I'm out of the running for good!

Thanks.

Dean.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:56 AM

Answers

• Yes, the device search result limit is still set to 50. This is slightly increased in the web Marketplace. Be aware that the search results are a based off of the recent popularity of your app (downloads). I'm sorry that you feel that search result limits are affecting your app's discoverability.

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:31 AM

All replies

• Yes, the device search result limit is still set to 50. This is slightly increased in the web Marketplace. Be aware that the search results are a based off of the recent popularity of your app (downloads). I'm sorry that you feel that search result limits are affecting your app's discoverability.

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Danny thanks for the reply.

Yes, clearly this is affecting everyone's apps discoverability to a huge extent. I would expect the search to give both old and new apps a chance to be found. Wouldn't that benefit both developers and users alike? How would you propose a new app gets into such a 'best' list if user's cannot find it in the first place? How does if gain popularity if it cannot be found by obvious keywords such as 'news', 'weather', 'travel' and so on. User will see the same old 50 all the time as well...the content of that top 50, once full, will basically never change then.

This is a very undemocratic approach and I am amazed that the team thinks this is ok. I don't get it.

I feel that I have wasted 3 months getting my first app of the ground because of this - it does not matter if the app is good or bad - users will never know it exists.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Besides the issues Dean has voiced, the search algorithm is just really bad. It displays totally unrelated apps far too often. The problem doesn't seem to be as bad with you competitors.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:00 AM
  • In the new version of the developer portal, I cannot even figure out how to set the keywords.  I want to change the words for one of my existing apps, but I can't see an option for that.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 5:49 PM
  • I finally found it.  It's over on the right side of the "Upload and describe your XAP" page, under "More options per language".
    • Proposed as answer by abreurettosky Monday, April 8, 2013 9:34 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 5:56 PM
  • We need to look for lawyer to clarify this subject in court. We are paying $ 99/year to join and be visible on Marketplace.  We are losing a lot of money due to strange practice of MS (never seen). Can you suggest an expert lawyer? If you do please provide phone, e-mail and address to us.  
    Monday, April 8, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Hello,

Last month my app was listed by specific keyword highly. But this month my App is not found by windows phone... I understand that the rank depend on the downloads but how I will increase download when nobody can find my app?

This can not be true, I paid much money for registration on app hub but this behavior is bullshit.

Can anyone give me some tricks that my app is listed in results?

Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Yes, you are right!
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:03 PM