Alert E-mail Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am looking at a way of alerting users to an "issue" that has been raised and assigned to someone. The ideal way would be something similar to what I have pictured below.

http://imgbucket.info/?lih24mjff

Where a user would enter a name into the Interested Party field where that would do an AD lookup using a name with presence field, once added an email would fire off and alert the user each time an issue is raised / changed within the "issue"

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Miggi,

In your screenshot (Define Lookup Dialog), you will first need to select the source of the user information.  In most cases, this will be the current list item (default option for "Source"), that you will need to work with.  If you are working with the current "issue" item (after new issue submitted), then you could try the following:

- The workflow should initiate when a new item is created

Workflow Step 1:

Action: Wait for field change in current item ("Wait for 'Interested Party' to be not empty)

Workflow Step 2:

Action: Send an email (configuration below)

1. Open the "Select Users" dialog for the "To" field of the email message
    2. Select "Workflow Lookup..."
    3. On the Define Workflow Lookup dialog, leave the "Source" as "Current Item"
    4. Set the field to the "Interested Party" field.

End of workflow---

If the field is not available on the list, you may need to define a content type with the fields needed and associate that with the list.

In your screenshot, you have selected a list as the source, which results in additional fields being added to the Define Workflow Lookup dialog to specify which field in which list, as well as criteria for how to find the list item to use data from.  You probably don't need to do this, and can leave the source as the "Current Item" option.

If you do need to refer to an item is a separate list from the "issue" item, please let me know.

Learn SharePoint 2010
    SharePoint Development
    SharePoint Tutorials (Blog)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:17 AM

All replies

• If "interested party" is defined as a people/group column then you don't need to any lookup.  You can just send an email to that person.

You could do this using sharepoint designer workflow.  Have you used SPD before for this kind of thing?

--Paul Galvin, Computer Generated Solutions (CGS)
      Microsoft MVP - SharePoint
      Blogging @ http://www.mstechblogs.com/paul
      Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/pagalvin
    Monday, December 13, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hi Paul "interested party" is indeed a people/group column. Im afraid I have not designed a custom workflow from scratch. Is there a method in which a user added to the "intersted party" field could be notified of an "issue" "creation" "update" or "close" via e-mail?

Thanks.

Monday, December 13, 2010 12:16 PM
  • I have created a basic workflow where in the the source is in the page where the interested field lies. However I am confused on how to place a workflow lookup into the address field where it will use a lookup to find the "interested party" and email them.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Hi Miggi03,

In the "Send and Email" action of a SPD workflow, when setting the value or the "To" field, use the address dialog and select "Workflow Lookup..." from the list of options on the left.  Set/leave the source as "Current Item", and select the field from the list that contains the use who you need to send the email.

Learn SharePoint 2010
    SharePoint Development
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hello daniels99 and thanks for your reply. I have tried the method you mentioned however when selecting the Source i am presented with 3 other fields and the 2nd one down does not even display the field I am looking for. I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I am not sure what.

I have attached a screen shot to show the window

http://imgbucket.info/?hdjnwtonq

any suggestions much appreciated.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:50 AM
  • Hi Miggi,

In your screenshot (Define Lookup Dialog), you will first need to select the source of the user information.  In most cases, this will be the current list item (default option for "Source"), that you will need to work with.  If you are working with the current "issue" item (after new issue submitted), then you could try the following:

- The workflow should initiate when a new item is created

Workflow Step 1:

Action: Wait for field change in current item ("Wait for 'Interested Party' to be not empty)

Workflow Step 2:

Action: Send an email (configuration below)

1. Open the "Select Users" dialog for the "To" field of the email message
    2. Select "Workflow Lookup..."
    3. On the Define Workflow Lookup dialog, leave the "Source" as "Current Item"
    4. Set the field to the "Interested Party" field.

End of workflow---

If the field is not available on the list, you may need to define a content type with the fields needed and associate that with the list.

In your screenshot, you have selected a list as the source, which results in additional fields being added to the Define Workflow Lookup dialog to specify which field in which list, as well as criteria for how to find the list item to use data from.  You probably don't need to do this, and can leave the source as the "Current Item" option.

If you do need to refer to an item is a separate list from the "issue" item, please let me know.

Learn SharePoint 2010
    SharePoint Development
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:17 AM
  • If the field is not available on the list, you may need to define a content type with the fields needed and associate that with the list.

I believe this is the case as I cannot select it using the method you mentioned. I will look into how to do this now. Thanks for your help so far.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:30 AM