none
Post Test and Casewhere RRS feed

• General discussion

• Any chance of including 2 more keywords into Small BASIC.
    A Post Test repetition ie REPEAT...UNTIL. This would complte and complement the Pre-Test WHILE repetition.
    A CASEWHERE (SELECT or whatever) would add Multiway selection. Yes, nested IF's can be used but are messy when a CASEWHERE can be used.
    I teach programming in NSW (AUstralian) High Schools and the subject requirements include the above 2 structures. I can work around these to a point but without the native structures in the language I need to go off and use an alternative to let students work with these 2 structures.
    Small BASIC is a great language that allows me to cover an easy to use language and have studetns produce simple elegant programs at a beginner level. The inclusion of the Turtle Graphics means I do not need to use an alternative LOGO language.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:09 PM

All replies

• Good ideas. 

We've got a thread going about ideas of what we might do with another version. You can add to that if you'd like.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:45 AM
    Owner
  • I agree with it. SB still lacks some keyword statements which are common among programming languages, even from very old BASIC varieties. For example, it's the only language I know of where the boolean keyword Not (or an equivalent like !) is lacking!

And it's fundamental to have those incorporated, so SB can be a much real introductory language solution!

Besides that, SB needs to have more multimedia capabilities, like play videos and easier multi-sound controlling, which run in separate instances and don't interrupt the program flow! And a save screen (and/or a portion of it) feature!  ^_^

Flickr & Dictionary objects are excellent ideas! SB should pursue more Internet services for us to play with!  :P

More methods to deal w/ advanced game-making like shape/sprite triggered collisions and also a badly-needed graphics window back-buffer!

And of course, a huge bundled collection of shape & sound samples, à la Scratch!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:51 AM
    Answerer