Let us know if there if you have any product feedback! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

For those of you who would like to provide Microsoft with feedback on either pain points you have faced that have not been addressed in our products, or anything you feel would be an awesome feature - please let us know!!!

Any kudos that you would like to share with any of the consultants that has provided great support - let us know.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:10 AM

All replies

•  

Absolutely, there are many feature requests we have and yes there are some pain points we'd like to share.  Can you please provide an email address with regards to feedback for the various product lines (e.g. Office products, Server products, etc).  Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Please send your feedbacks together with your company name, partnerID (if there is one) and your contact info to this alias first:

isvhelp@microsoft.com

We will forward your feedbacks to our prouct teams.

Thanks,

Judy

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Why can't Word & Excel launch other applications when using the File Open dialog box.  In Word, the default is to show the list of all files (ie *.*), so if there are PDF files listed for example and you select these by accident then you either crash Word or you get a page of gobbledygook.  Surely, it would be more sensible to just launch the application associated with the file type?  The times I have tried to open an Excel file in Word and ended up with a page of nonsense!

Monday, November 3, 2008 12:31 PM
  • There are three main gripes I have with Word 2007, and I wonder whether Word 2010 might provide some solutions:

[1] Pictures and drawing objects can no longer be grouped together by simple shift-clicking, which is possible in Word 2003, but instead the Drawing Panel needs to be opened first.

[2] The individual settings of the quick access toolbar are not stored in one's roaming profile - this is a real pain in a corporate environment.

[3] Although the ribbon has its advantages and will remain the default setting, I was wondering whether Microsoft could not see its way to incorporating on option into Office 2010 (maybe as a download) that would allow users to switch to the 2003-type menus. There are third-party products available that do the same but I'd prefer an integrated MS solution.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I'm the developer of an application that can run under Access 2003 or later (the application is developed using Access 2003).  Along with my application, I optionally (re-)distribute the Access Runtime component.

I was rather shocked to note that Access 2010 Runtime does not have a method to perform a silent installation.  I attempted to dialog with someone at Microsoft on this matter several months ago, but their view of the universe did not extend beyond the MSI package.  With the Runtime, the MSI package is itself packaged within a self-expanding "zip" that the user executes in order to create the "MSI environment."  When the user executes the "zip", it builds the MSI envireonment and then internally executes the MSI package.  Thus the system has no opportunity to pass a command line switch to the MSI package.  And I also do not have the ability to add to (or modify) any of the files / folders in the constructed MSI environment because the name of the top-level folder it builds is dynamically constructed at execution time.

In recent days, I've noticed several posts in various chat rooms on this very matter.  It would be nice if something could be done.

Thanks.

Bob Howard.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Ladies and Gentlemen,

I started using Client database tools since dBase I in 1980 and Access since Version 1.1 in the 1990s. I have been using Access 2007 for about a year and have familiarized myself with Access 2010 functions recently. Certainly, there are many new and powerful capabilities in the new Access.  I am, however,  disappointed with the functionality not carried forward from Access 2003 as there was functionality that overcame some of Microsoft developer’s seemingly misinformation of how customers want reports printed or previewed (based on their organization’s standard formats).

I have some 30 years experience with customers and report generation.

Most non-technical users want to view reports to deal with exceptions in the data and be able to read the data clearly. This means exhibiting columns and rows much as displayed in Excel with associated titles, etc. with changing color of the rows (nicely done currently).  However, most of us know the benefits of Access over Excel manipulating and displaying information.

Two of the most valued capabilities have been removed after Access 2003:

1.       The ability to execute menu commands from VBA, and

2.       Perform Application.Run of wizards (to include the editing of styles).

Why were these valuable? A developer could overcome some of the basic flaws in the Report Wizard enhanced by the “Report” icon in the current Access 2010 Create ribbon. Both create a report design with a Report Header and Footer. Yes, the footer is valuable for grand totals, etc., but for the average customer, a report header is useless and text/labels are removed and included in the page header. To make it easier for a non-technical customer, we often used the menu commands and modified wizards to show selected functionality to the customer. That capability no longer exists.

If it does, it is most difficult to find with Bing on the web or in Microsoft developer support. Why was this used? Basically to tailor reports to the user’s (customer’s) organization and preferred reporting style. It doesn’t appear that functionality exists any longer.  My opinion, and we all have one, is that Microsoft development:

1.       Found it was too expensive to convert the menu commands to use the new ribbon structure and

2.       Converted much of the functionality was to ActiveX or .XML. Rightfully so in most probability, but where is the information today on how it works?

There are pieces and parts located all over the internet. Can anyone tell me where there is a comprehensive discussion? Most discussions are at a detail to do one activity (such as customizing the ribbon – and that through .XML). At a minimum, is there a style editor?

Thank you,

Dave Simmons

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:11 PM