Any 'reliable' video drivers for W8DP x64 with Dell D820 (Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M)

Question

• I have installed the latest driver (old) from Dell's Support site for a Dell D820 with the above video card.  It installs fine and is running at 1920x1080.  The problem is that the graphics subsystem definitely isn't stable on this release.  50% of the time I boot, it shows the Windows Developer Preview, then black screen, then shows the cursor (I can move it), and it seems to load Windows in the background, but the lock screen never comes up.  Hard shutdown, start it up, and on the 2nd or 3rd try, it comes up fine.

Now, when it does come up, I can load just a few Metro apps before things get unreliable.  Stocks will load, then, switch back to them and only the box outlines show.  Open IE, load a page, go to Start screen, go back to IE, and it's not working.

I KNOW this is an early release, I know.  Trust me, I am a proponent of Windows 8 at this time because it ROCKS! (Works wonderfully on my ASUS G73jh at home)  I really think it is awesome and very much look forward to Beta->RC->RTM.

So, I would imagine it's due to either the video adapter itself or lack of using an updated driver.  Again, the latest from Dell is 97.46 dated 12/2006 (Ouch!).  When I try to dnwload a newer version from Nvidia's site, they all give this error when installing:

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.  Setup will now exit.

I believe this same issue pops up for Windows 7 x64 in general.  I would imagine with the early release of Windows 8, there are general compatibility issues.  That's fine, just wondering if anyone knows this:

Is there a trick or tricks to 'fool' these newer Nvidia installers to 'force-update' to the newer drivers (yes, knowing it's not supported, blah blah)?  I thought I saw these types of threads on the Internet but can't seem to find one.  Something about updating the .INF file in the driver installer to install anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Michael R.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:04 PM

Answers

• @Tushaus:

this seems to work: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/28845-windows-wddm-12-27574-released/

replace the inf file in the driver package with the modified one in the post and do a manual driver update (via Device Mgr or similar). Don't select the Quadro 120M, instead stick with what's listed in "compatible", which will be a GeForce-something-or-other. For some reason, if you select the Quadro 120M, you get the "incompatible with current Hardware" message - must be a bug, I guess.

I now have hardware acceleration, Aero etc on my D820 and have not noticed any bugs or incompatibilities yet.

Rgds - Marcus.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:47 PM

All replies

• Have you tried download the driver from Windows Update or from NVidia directly (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us)?

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Per my original post, I get an error when trying to run any number of newer drivers from Nvidia's website for either Win7 x64 or Vista x64.

Windows Update provides no video driver updates once 97.46 is installed.

Michael R.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Could you be more specific what is the error you get?

Why were you not happy with the default generic driver which was there from the beginning?

• Edited by MCCZ Friday, September 16, 2011 4:29 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I already posted the error I get, and will again here:

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter worked of course, but could only get 1600x1200 res (or something similar) and the hardware acceleration with Aero and the new Start screen was NOT good.

Michael R.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Have you tried the stable or beta drivers?

I suggest you to get the beta ones... http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.27-beta-driver.html

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:01 PM
  • When I try to install those exact drivers, I still get the same error.

Michael R.

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Contact nVidia. They may not have a driver for the chip yet.

This build is designed to let developers find out issues like this.  If you want something stable or reliable stay away until RTM.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:13 PM
  • So than you have a bad luck. You either need to live with the generic driver, try to contact nvidia or try to force the driver to install. However, the last option might require digging and changing inf files at least so you should be aware of what you are really doing. I do not recommend you to do it if you are not keen on this.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:17 PM
  • @Tushaus:

this seems to work: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/28845-windows-wddm-12-27574-released/

replace the inf file in the driver package with the modified one in the post and do a manual driver update (via Device Mgr or similar). Don't select the Quadro 120M, instead stick with what's listed in "compatible", which will be a GeForce-something-or-other. For some reason, if you select the Quadro 120M, you get the "incompatible with current Hardware" message - must be a bug, I guess.

I now have hardware acceleration, Aero etc on my D820 and have not noticed any bugs or incompatibilities yet.

Rgds - Marcus.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:47 PM