none
Does/is Expression Web 4 support/compatible with CSS3? RRS feed

• Question

• I am just now upgrading to Expression Web 4 from Expression Web 2. I have a CSS3 navigation bar that I built for an existing site, but it didn't play well in EW 2.

Thanks in advance

Roy

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• You have to be a lot more clear about what you mean by "play well". :)

CSS3 draft, at the time EW4 was created, is understood if you set that in your Authoring tab of Page Editing Options.

That doesn't restrict you from writing any other CSS you want (including browser-specific options, which are not standard).

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by dolphin13 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Umm... yeah... it "didn't play well," eh? Not sure exactly how you mean that, but I will point out that EW, any version, does not display any kind of dynamic effect in design view. That includes :hover-driven CSS menu dropdowns, or any javascript animations or menus. So, if you're talking about design view, EW4 won't "play well" either.

If you're talking about red squigglies or yellow highlights indicating syntax/compatibility problems in source code, then, as Kathy noted, you will have to select "CSS3 draft" in "Tools|Page Editor Options|Authoring|Schema version." That will cause EW4 to check compatibility with the latest version of the CSS3 draft as of the release of the program.

Next time try to be a little clearer in the wording of your question.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by dolphin13 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:29 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:02 AM

All replies

• You have to be a lot more clear about what you mean by "play well". :)

CSS3 draft, at the time EW4 was created, is understood if you set that in your Authoring tab of Page Editing Options.

That doesn't restrict you from writing any other CSS you want (including browser-specific options, which are not standard).

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by dolphin13 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Umm... yeah... it "didn't play well," eh? Not sure exactly how you mean that, but I will point out that EW, any version, does not display any kind of dynamic effect in design view. That includes :hover-driven CSS menu dropdowns, or any javascript animations or menus. So, if you're talking about design view, EW4 won't "play well" either.

If you're talking about red squigglies or yellow highlights indicating syntax/compatibility problems in source code, then, as Kathy noted, you will have to select "CSS3 draft" in "Tools|Page Editor Options|Authoring|Schema version." That will cause EW4 to check compatibility with the latest version of the CSS3 draft as of the release of the program.

Next time try to be a little clearer in the wording of your question.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by dolphin13 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:29 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:02 AM