none
Run Time Error 3043 Network access interrupted RRS feed

• Question

• 2012 R2, Dell PowerEdge, Windows 10, 1903 PCs, Access 2016 front ends local on PCs, back ends on server

Small network with  4 - 6 active Access users

Errors are random (multiple PCs and users, no specific user action before error) but almost always occur after users have been logged into application for more than an hour, frequently after users have not executed an application function for a period of time

PRTG and Spiceworks monitoring does not show any unusual activity around the time the errors occur- no processor or network activity spikes

Mostly presents as Access Run Time error 3043 "Your network access was interrupted ..." but appears to also cause other run time errors with no apparent cause

Saturday, August 31, 2019 9:22 PM

All replies

• Is this a wired LAN or wireless?

Is this database split?

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Have you checked your network latency ?

Just issue a ping to server from a workstation and let it run for some time...in all occasions it should retun <1ms....if not you have issues

Sunday, September 1, 2019 6:19 AM
  • Hi BVitter

I had lots of 3043 errors on my server (Windows Server 2012 R2). What ended the problems were the following:
    I linked the BE database to FE with UNC:
    \\ BADC \ Švyturys \ data \ trading .accdb instead of P: \ data \ trading.accdb

To start FE, I created a short cut for the app. Target in that shortcut is "\\ BADC \ Švyturys \ data \ CraftBrewAdmin.accdb" and Start in is \\ BADC \ Švyturys \ data \                 I give each user their own FE, naming the like CraftBrewAdminOne, CraftBrewAdminTwo etc

Note that both FE and BE are on the same drive.

I also have a, hidden, Form opened by the AutoExec macro. That form is bound to a linked table and its always open. It has one control (field) and it has an On Timer Event Procedure. The Event Procedure code is simple:
    Private Sub Form_Timer ()
        On Error GoTo Form_Timer_Error
    Me.Requery
        On Error GoTo 0
        Exit Sub
    Form_Timer_Error:
        MsgBox "Error" & Err.Number & "(" & Err.description & ") in procedure Form_Timer, line" & Erl & "."
    End Sub

The timer interval is set to 5000 (= 5 seconds)

After implementing this, error 3043 has stopped.

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Sunday, September 1, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Wired, 100 MB

Front end is saved on each PC, back end databases (multiple) stored on server

Sunday, September 1, 2019 5:34 PM
  • An easy way to get the UNC path to the BE is to use Word.

1 Select the BE file

2 Drag selection with right mouse button into a Word document

3 Release right mouse button and select "Create hyperlink here"

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Sunday, September 1, 2019 5:51 PM
  • PRTG Ping Count Sensor shows 0ms during periods when recent errors occurred
    Sunday, September 1, 2019 6:03 PM
  • I have explored most of the potential issues mentioned in the article:

This error only occurs after the front end database has been open for an hour or more and does not occur at the same time on other PCs with the same database open

Some of the PCs have recently had Windows installed (clean install)

I have run SFC and DISM - no errors

The error occurs when a user initiates any action that results in a network table access - I can save the error message in a table on the local (C:) drive so the error is network access vice Access related

Since I trap the error, the application does not "crash" but the user has to shut it down and restart

PCs have Symantec End Point AV and Malwarebytes scanner - no malware detected

Sunday, September 1, 2019 6:16 PM
  • Backend databases are Compacted and Repaired weekly

Front end databases are refreshed nightly - recopied from a master version on the server

Sunday, September 1, 2019 6:21 PM
  • Hi BVitter,

I could remember early this year there was an Windows 10 update that cause disconnections.

I'm not sure it's been fix.

I had to move to a Windows 7 for my back-end. That solved the problems.

Monday, September 2, 2019 9:34 AM
  • When the error occurs the network shows many of the mapped drives not linked

When I click on each drive it relinks

This appears to be a network error that only happens after an hour or more of use and then randomly so it is very hard to create the error under test conditions

Friday, October 18, 2019 11:50 PM
  • when it occurs - does it affect all users of the Access application?

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:16 PM
  • This database application is typically used between 9:30AM - 12:30PM and 7:00PM - 9:00PM

There could be 3 -6 users during a shift

The errors almost never occur before 10:00AM or 8:00PM and can continue sporadically (or not) until the end of the shift

A typical user will use the application for a few minutes - search, view screens, add/update a record - then not use the application again for up to an hour

The errors are identified by an ON ERROR trap - users are not a reliable source for reporting errors

It appears that when an error is recorded it does impact multiple or all users but they may not experience the error until they use the application again

And it also appears that the error is self-correcting since individual users have no way to fix the issue other than sign out of the application and sign back in

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:18 PM
  • there's another string with a similar problem.  I will cut & paste in the final dialog below.

- 1 troubleshooting step I would do is to take a vanilla PC and use it as a file server and put the BEs on it temporarily.  I think the issue is outside of Access and is either server or network.  If it is stable on a PC then it is a server issue, while if it continues to have network interruptions it probably is a network issue and you would want to isolate the segments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 2012 R2 host server

This did solve the problem. Not that I like the idea of having to change the file lease settings on the server. But at least I can get some other work done now instead of spending all day repair corrupted back-end databases.

I hope MS comes up with a better answer. But for now, the solution, even though it is clearly a workaround, is here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-reports-that-databases-are-in-an-inconsistent-state-%ef%bb%bf-7ec975da-f7a9-4414-a306-d3a7c422dc1d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

No, sadly not.  It is a Windows 10 bug which is now more than a year old and Microsoft still has not fixed!  It doesn't cause any real damage to the database, but makes it unusable until you do a Compact and Repair.  The problem is the issue occurs over and over and over.  Some days it can happen a dozen time, or more making Access simply unusable.

At least there is a Reg Hack fix by changing the server's networking properties, but it in turn can have other implications on overall networking performance.

Just another headache to get around.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support:
    http://www.cardaconsultants.com

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:26 PM