How would you store a link that opens a new form? RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a look up table. I want to store the values in the look up tables as links. So when the value is clicked in the main form it opens a detail page that explains the value.

1. Can this be done, if so how?

2. Would it be better to try and open the link as a aspx page that exists inside of my project or create some static form?

• Edited by Missiodei Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:36 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:35 PM

Answers

• If I understand you correctly, what you want to do isn't that hard at all.

As you say, create a table to hold the values. Then, wherever you want the list of the entities to be displayed (in a List control, or a DataGrid control, tick the Show As Link option for the label control that has the name in it). Actually I don't use List controls, so not 100% sure if they display links, but a DataGrid control will. You should be able to do the same in an AutoCompleteBox control (by setting the options on the Summary control, inside the ACB control.

By default, clicking on the link will display a LightSwitch-generated modal window. If you create a detail page (with a single integer parameter), you can tell the link to open that instead, by setting the Target Screen option.

It should be as simple as that.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:50 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Missiodei,

Are you looking for a message box with an explanation of what the value represents or are you trying to drill down and provide more details on how the value was obtained?

Is the details contained on another screen currently?

-Pierson

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
  • What I am trying to accomplish is the item in the look up table that would be represented in the drop down box on the main form is a link that if clickable would lead the user to a reference page/form whatever that gives a thorough explanation of what the value is.

I'm not really seeing a way to 

1. do the link to a new page/form

2. I assume I would have to put this in an entity or table of some sort and display it on a new form?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:57 PM
  • If I understand you correctly, what you want to do isn't that hard at all.

As you say, create a table to hold the values. Then, wherever you want the list of the entities to be displayed (in a List control, or a DataGrid control, tick the Show As Link option for the label control that has the name in it). Actually I don't use List controls, so not 100% sure if they display links, but a DataGrid control will. You should be able to do the same in an AutoCompleteBox control (by setting the options on the Summary control, inside the ACB control.

By default, clicking on the link will display a LightSwitch-generated modal window. If you create a detail page (with a single integer parameter), you can tell the link to open that instead, by setting the Target Screen option.

It should be as simple as that.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:50 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:09 AM