none
Is it possible to change the data of Pivot Table? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to develop an excel add-in in .net and want to show the data to user using "Pivot Table".

Is there a way in which I can allow the user to change the cell values of the "Pivot Table" without changing the source data?

Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Vinay Pugalia
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post or "Vote as Helpful".
    Web : Inkey Solutions
    Blog : My Blog
    Email : Vinay Pugalia

Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Vinay,

As far as I know, it's not possible. We can only change those Pivot Table cells that belong to Row Label or Column Label. But we can't change the Value cells. You'll get some errors like "Cannot change this part of a Pivot Table report".

If you just want to display a report with some changes to the original Pivot Table report, I would recommend that you copy the data from the Pivot Table to another worksheet, then modify the values.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by vinaypugalia Friday, February 13, 2015 3:46 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinay,

As far as I know, it's not possible. We can only change those Pivot Table cells that belong to Row Label or Column Label. But we can't change the Value cells. You'll get some errors like "Cannot change this part of a Pivot Table report".

If you just want to display a report with some changes to the original Pivot Table report, I would recommend that you copy the data from the Pivot Table to another worksheet, then modify the values.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by vinaypugalia Friday, February 13, 2015 3:46 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 7:22 AM
  • No!  The Pivot Table is a summarized report of the underlying data.  Why would you even want to do that?  Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. 

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Friday, February 20, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Yes, I understand this is not a very sensible approach but my requirement is to allow the user to modify any cell and then I would pick the modified cells & save the changes in my back end.

The de-aggregation in this case would be handled by my business logic.

If you have an alternate option to achieve this requirement, please guide.

Thanks!

-Vinay Pugalia
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post or "Vote as Helpful".
    Web : Inkey Solutions
    Blog : My Blog
    Email : Vinay Pugalia

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:08 AM