none
Install .Net Framework 3.5 on windows 8 and windows 10 automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I have a seemingly simple problem for which I haven't been able to find an answer.

I have developed a program which required .NET framework 3.5 to run. I want to deploy the .NET framework 3.5 on the user's machine automatically when they install my software. This seems like a very simple problem. I am just trying to install the dependency <g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="54" id="54">before</g> installing my software. Now, the problem is I can't seem to figure out any way to install dotNet framework 3.5 on windows 8 and 10 automatically, especially if the Group policy "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" is disabled which is disabled on a lot of machines.

The following is what I have tried so far.

1. Installing through the dotNet framework 3.5 setup exe available at the following link. This setup does not work on windows 8 or 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=25150

2. I have gone through the whole article "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Considerations" available at the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/microsoft-net-framework-35-deployment-considerations

None of the option specified in the above article work if the Group policy "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" is disabled.

Is there really no way for a developer to distribute dotNet framework 3.5 on windows 8 or windows 10 without changing the group policy or requiring the installation media of the whole windows OS?

I hope someone can nudge me in the right direction. Sorry, if this is not the right place to ask this question. Please let me know if I should try any other forums for this.

Friday, January 4, 2019 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hi imankurpatel000,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I want to deploy the .NET framework 3.5 on the user's machine automatically when they install my software. ”.

If you use VS as your development platform for your project, you can set this requirement in the project's prerequisite options. When publishing a ClickOnce application, you can choose a set of prerequisite components to be packaged along with your application. At installation time, a check will be performed for each prerequisite to determine if it already exists; if not it will be installed prior to installing the ClickOnce application.

In short, you should have created a custom .Net 3.5 package and add it in the prerequisite folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper\Packages. After that, .Net 3.5 package will appear in prerequisite option in VS. as I shown the option window below. About setting a prerequisite and create a bootstrapper package, please look at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/deployment/how-to-install-prerequisites-with-a-clickonce-application?view=vs-2017 and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/deployment/creating-bootstrapper-packages?view=vs-2017

It’s worth to be mentioned, .Net 3.5 as a component of Windows 8.1 and 10, has been preinstalled in default, and we strongly recommend users to enable .Net 3.5 through the Windows Control Panel, the detail steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10 .

Since our forum mainly focus on .NET Framework Setup and Servicing issue, if you have more confused about how to deploy your project and other else, I recommend you could redirect clickonce forum to start a new thread for an ask.

Hope my answer would help you and if so, please mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

For my answer, is there any confused here?

If my answer is helpful, please mark it as answer that I have purposed the solution. For that, more and more members could know this issue and get a favor quickly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Br

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 11, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi ElGerrito,

Sorry to trouble you and I just want to confirm that this explain is helpful or not?

We are happy to hear any update from you.

May

Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:45 AM