none
Microsoft Word desktop app opening multiple connections when opening from SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I am collecting traces while doing an open/edit/save operation in MS Word, which is accessing a file from an on-premise SharePoint 2016 server that uses NTLM authentication. After inspecting the traces, it looks like Word will create new connections for every action (OPTIONS, FSSHTTP, etc).

IIS does not respond with a Connection: Close header, so it seems like Word should reuse these connections (and in fact, Word sends Connection: Keep-Alive with every request). Because we are using NTLM auth, the extra connections make the Word application go significantly slower over time. Is there any reason why word is exhibiting this behavior? In addition, is there any way for me to tell Word/MSOffice to not create new connections all the time (via registry key, iis setting, etc)?

Thanks

Monday, September 12, 2016 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe the reason you see this behaviour is MS programmers are being lazy. They test on a multi-gigabit network with workstations having 100'th of gigabyte RAM. Their tests work out alright. Period.

Best regards, George

Monday, September 12, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi George, thanks for your reply. I guess it's worth mentioning that the word desktop application does not exhibit this 'problem' when opening a document from Office Online. I'm not sure if this is due to SSL, or the authentication type, or what. For example, maybe MS word has a policy to never reuse connections when doing NTLM? Is there any resources online that might talk about this?

Monday, September 12, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know this is a by design behavior, you can refer to these KB articles to get more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2019105

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2758444

You can get workarounds from KB article, please try it.

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:34 AM