Updating User Profile automatically by Solution Providers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it allowed for Solutions Provider to update automatically user's profile given that they are given the right by the users. Like they can submit new results directly to user's profile or update results directly without having the user to go everytime to its website to manually import the result.

I hope my question is clear.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• Yes.  If your application requests Offline access to data types, and users authorize your application, then you can read/write data at any time without having users need to visit your application and sign in.  The important thing is that you describe how and why you will be reading or writing data to users (using the Why strings and other fields in your app description) so that users understand this will be happening.  As long as users understand this when they approve your application to access thier record, then there is no problem with this approach.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:49 AM

All replies

• Yes.  If your application requests Offline access to data types, and users authorize your application, then you can read/write data at any time without having users need to visit your application and sign in.  The important thing is that you describe how and why you will be reading or writing data to users (using the Why strings and other fields in your app description) so that users understand this will be happening.  As long as users understand this when they approve your application to access thier record, then there is no problem with this approach.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Lowell for your quick reply, if for example a laboratory has develop a desktop application that will update user profiles if new results arrive, do they still have to create a website / web application for them to be able to use HV or the desktop application will do (assuming again that the user already has HV account). Am i correct in saying that before the user can authorize a solution provider he/she has to know / get the application id of the solution provider?

And one more thing, could you give me a link to where i can read about the type of data formats supported by HV (like CCR, CCD, etc).
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Hello,

Except for DOPU and SODA applications all other applications need a web interface of their own. For Offline access once the application is authorized through the web UI, the application will retrieve the user's Person ID and Record ID and use them whenever the application wants to read or write data to the user's record agian. So no further user involvement is needed. But If you were mentioning about a rich client desktop application then SODA architecture will be the best to choose. Please go through this link for a tutorial on the HealthVault application architecture.

All the HealthVault applications are listed in the Application Directory . Users can directly go here and get enrolled in them. Users need not know the application ID for authorizing them.

All the data types that are supported by HealthVault are listed in this link .

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
    Aneesh D.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:40 AM