Display Driver

Question

• I have an older Compaq Presario V2311US laptop that I've installed Win 8 on. Everything seems to work fine except it is using the Basic Microsoft Display Driver. I can't seem to find an ATI driver that will work properly with Win 8. Any suggestions?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:57 PM

Answers

• I finally got my display problem fixed. I found a Windows Vista ATI driver program and ran it in Vista compatibility mode. When it came up with options, I told it to just install the driver. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This Win 8 is growing on me a little now, that my display is working okay.
    • Marked as answer by WolfpackFan Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 PM
    • Edited by WolfpackFan Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:01 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 PM

All replies

•  I can't seem to find an ATI driver that will work properly with Win 8. Any suggestions?

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until ATI releases Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your older model).

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:36 PM
  • If you remember what type of card you have you can look for it on here ATI has released beta drivers for windows 8. Only a certain amount are compatible 
    I love testing out very buggy systems. Favorite OS: Windows Whistler. Consoles: Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Gamecube, PC
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:53 PM
  • If you remember what type of card you have you can look for it on here ATI has released beta drivers for windows 8. Only a certain amount are compatible 
    I love testing out very buggy systems. Favorite OS: Windows Whistler. Consoles: Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Gamecube, PC

hi there is not download link.. do you know the download link ?

thanks

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:09 PM

thanks

What type of card do you have?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:14 PM

thanks

What type of card do you have?

Hi

HD 6200, I have check with dxdiag and is already dx11 :-) so maybe was downloaded. From windows update.. I'm missing ATI control panel ..

Do you know if there is a full set of beta drivers with HDMI etc etc drivers ..

Thanks

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Compaq.com's support site lists this graphics driver for the Presario V2311US.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-33855-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=500280&sw_lang=

Matthew van Eerde
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I tried the link above but it is for the XP driver. I went to the ATI website and what they've done is consolidated all of what they call "legacy" adapters into a single program that you run to install the correct driver. Unfortunately it didn't work properly with Win 8. When I originally setup this laptop I had a Vista driver which worked fine. Unfortunately when I installed 8, I lost that driver (should have saved it). Does anyone know of anyplace that has a repository of old drivers. I feel like if I could just find that Vista driver, everything would be fine. This is really the only thing that is bugging me about 8 right now. The display looks so old fashioned with the Microsoft generic driver.
    • Edited by WolfpackFan Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:41 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:40 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:40:47 +0000, WolfpackFan wrote:

I tried the link above but it is for the XP driver. I went to the ATI website and what they've done is consolidated all of what they call "legacy" adapters into a single program that you run to install the correct driver. Unfortunately it didn't work properly with Win 8. When I originally setup this laptop I had a Vista driver which worked fine. Unfortunately when I installed 8, I lost that driver (should have saved it). Does anyone know of anyplace that has a repository of old drivers. I feel like if I could just find that Vista driver, everything would be fine. This is really the only thing that is bugging me about 8 right now. The display looks so old fashioned with the Microsoft generic driver.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.5.3.4.3.2&contentType=Tech+Download+Chipset+Motherboard&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

You may need to use compatibility mode to get the package to install. Note
    that since your video card is so old, even if you manage to get the driver
    installed, the chances are very good that your system is going to become
    extremely unstable and will more than likely bluescreen frequently.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.  -- Pablo Picasso

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:47 PM
  • No luck here either. Tried the Catalyst package as directed to from ATI Catalyst™ Mobility Display Driver but it failed on OS recognition and with compat mode it said it couldnt find a suitable adapter.

Hope this can be remedied as it would be nice to see win8 running in non chugging display mode.

The laptop is an asus m6000 that's 5 years old. Hope it's included in the runs on older hardware vision Sinofsky presented.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hey Dude

I had similar problem for Lenovo N100. The set up said "Incompatible OS" or something 

I downloaded a driver from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19155/a08/win7.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=19155&DownloadType=%0aDrivers%0a&OSFullname=Windows+7+Ultimate%2c+32-bit+version*&ProductID=3180

then I went to  Device Manager >Display Adapters

Clicked Update Driver >Browsed through the folder which I just downloaded >

Installation done :)

Hope it helps

cheers

Siyamalan

• Edited by Siyamalan Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Siyamalan Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:35 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I finally got my display problem fixed. I found a Windows Vista ATI driver program and ran it in Vista compatibility mode. When it came up with options, I told it to just install the driver. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This Win 8 is growing on me a little now, that my display is working okay.
    • Marked as answer by WolfpackFan Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 PM
    • Edited by WolfpackFan Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:01 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 PM