none
What to use instead of z order for 2003 Word Document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am currently trying to get the ordering of shapes for Word 2003 format. If there are two over lapping shapes, I an unable to decide which shape is on top of the other.

I see that for Word 2007 we get z-order. Is there any such property for Word 2003 documents?

Thanks,

Amit

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit, this question has been answered previously in the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e20e14ca-152e-4f43-b3e5-f2096028bf10/microsoft-word-zorder-2003?forum=os_binaryfile

As you noted, there is a z-order property that can be used to determine the order in which graphical elements are drawn. This is described in MS-ODRAW section 2.3.4.43 and the referenced behavior note <31> which states "The dhgt property specifies the relative z-order of a shape. This property MAY<31> be ignored" and "Office Word 2007 and Word 2010 do not ignore this property. All other product versions listed at the beginning of this appendix ignore this property."

The behavior of products other than Word 2007/2010 can be found by looking at section 2.2.12 and the referenced behavior note <2> which states "The OfficeArtDggContainer record type specifies the container for all the OfficeArt file records that contain document-wide data. <2>" and "The z-order of shapes in a diagram are determined by their order in the file."

Please let me know if that answers your question.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:30 PM

All replies

• Amit,
    Thank you for your request. One of our team members will review this and follow-up with you soon.
    Regards,
    Edgar
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Hi Amit, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Hi Amit, this question has been answered previously in the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e20e14ca-152e-4f43-b3e5-f2096028bf10/microsoft-word-zorder-2003?forum=os_binaryfile

As you noted, there is a z-order property that can be used to determine the order in which graphical elements are drawn. This is described in MS-ODRAW section 2.3.4.43 and the referenced behavior note <31> which states "The dhgt property specifies the relative z-order of a shape. This property MAY<31> be ignored" and "Office Word 2007 and Word 2010 do not ignore this property. All other product versions listed at the beginning of this appendix ignore this property."

The behavior of products other than Word 2007/2010 can be found by looking at section 2.2.12 and the referenced behavior note <2> which states "The OfficeArtDggContainer record type specifies the container for all the OfficeArt file records that contain document-wide data. <2>" and "The z-order of shapes in a diagram are determined by their order in the file."

Please let me know if that answers your question.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:30 PM