Dynamic Data Web Application Project issues RRS feed

• Question

• User1104429570 posted

Hi all,

I was wondering if there were any known issues with making a Dynamic Data Web Application vs. Dynamic Data Web SIte? I've created and used a Dynamic Data Website pretty easily with all the tutorials online and with the help of this forum. Thanks by the way[:D] But now I'm trying to create an Application and starting to run into quite a few errors. All the default templates seem to work fine, but when I try to add a few things from the DD Futures project, I'm running into some errors. So before I start listing things out, are there some issues that any of you have come across? Are there any good tutorials out there that revolve around an Application vs. Website?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:43 PM

Answers

• User-797310475 posted

One issue that people run into often with WebApps is that in this model pages, user controls, etc get compiled into a single assembly and therefore need to have a uniquely qualified name. So for example, if you make a copy of a page template into the custom pages folder, you will have to change the name and/or namespace of the class - both in codebehind and in the markup that references.

Another thing is that now assembly references are placed in the project file (.csproj or .vbproj), not web.config.

Are you seeing any particular issues?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:47 PM

All replies

• User-797310475 posted

One issue that people run into often with WebApps is that in this model pages, user controls, etc get compiled into a single assembly and therefore need to have a uniquely qualified name. So for example, if you make a copy of a page template into the custom pages folder, you will have to change the name and/or namespace of the class - both in codebehind and in the markup that references.

Another thing is that now assembly references are placed in the project file (.csproj or .vbproj), not web.config.

Are you seeing any particular issues?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:47 PM
  • User-1005219520 posted

I've hunted extensively for a VS08 Web app v. Web site and found nothing useful - except  a blog from the ASP.Net team recommending the web site approach. Unless you have a compelling reason to use a Web app your better off going with Web site. Note it's non-trivial to transfer features from the futures project to your own web site/project regardless of the model you choose.

Steve has written a very popular tutorial Adding Dynamic Data Futures to your Website

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:54 PM