which is the best way to return data in xml format with web services RRS feed

• Question

• User-935979976 posted

Hi,

I have to write web services in .net for other platforms like android(java), & IOS. I have created one and also consumed in .net. It is easy to write and consume web services in .net with VS. I have returned data through DataSet and accessed it in a DataSet from remote server easily. 

But I want to confirm one thing. what is the best way to return data from database tables so others like java developers can access it easily. One option I am thinking to use is: a Class as return type of Webmethods and return data through this Class members/properties.

But if there are other good options to return data in xml format please suggest me.

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

You can return XmlDocument instead of DataSet from web method, you can use code similar below to display Xml on the client.

string xmlStr = null;
    XmlDocument xmlDoc = default(XmlDocument);

xmlStr = myDataSet.getxml;
    xmlDoc.LoadXml(xmlStr);

Refer a blog #Web Services, a simple approach

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/XML/webservicessimple.aspx

Hope it helps.

Best Regards.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:50 AM
  • User-935979976 posted
    @Haixia thanks for the reply but XmlDocument is obsolete. Currently I am returning data as an array of a class. There is another option XDocument of LINQ to XML. But I am not familiar with this yet.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:59 AM
  • User-1000095884 posted

Hem Singh

thanks for the reply but XmlDocument is obsolete. Currently I am returning data as an array of a class. There is another option XDocument of LINQ to XML. But I am not familiar with this yet. 

Hi,

If you do not want to use XDocument, you can consider create a Restful service and return XML data, set the ResponseFormat to WebMessageFormat.Xml

Refer a sample from #Create RESTful WCF Service API: Step By Step Guide

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/105273/Create-RESTful-WCF-Service-API-Step-By-Step-Guide

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:59 AM
  • User-935979976 posted

@Haixia thanks for the reply. I am not denying the use of XDocument but XMLDocument. XDocument is good. It is a part of LINQ to XML. But I have not used it.

As you have suggested WCF someone has suggested Web API.  Which one is good: wcf or web api for web services?.

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:12 AM
  • User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

The new ASP.NET Web API is a continuation of the previous WCF Web API projection, WCF was originally created to enable SOAP-based services.

A comparision between #WCF and ASP.NET Web API

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj823172.aspx

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:37 AM