Installation stops with Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having trouble with installing Visual Basic 2008 with SP1 onto Windows Vista Home Premium. It stops installing at the first item, Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites.

Should I just install the 2005 version?

I cannot upload an image that I captured that shows the installation screen.

Would it be just better to install the Visual Basic 2008 version without SP1? Can I even get that?

New Developer for Visual Basic

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please tell me what kind of installation are you trying, web installation or offline installation?    If it is a web installation, I think you could try an offline installation.   Download the Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions All-In-One DVD, then install it with virtual disc software.   For additional information, please refer to http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/offline.aspx.  Also SP1 version here (Installer) and here (ISO).

Or I think you could use this collection utility to get the setup and error log, then upload the %TEMP%\vslogs.cab to some server and offer us the URL.   You could easily sign up for 5GB free space at http://skydrive.live.com only with your Live Passport.   I think the setup log files could offer us more information about the error you encountered, which will be very helpful for troubleshooting setup problems.

Besides, I recommend you to use Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1, because it is the latest Service Pack of Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions and many issues have been fixed in it.  For more detail information, please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945140.   Thus, for practical and security consideration, Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1 will be a better choice.

However, if you still want Visual Basic 2008 Express without SP1 installed, I think you could get it here.

Any more questions you encountered, please be free to let me know.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please tell me what kind of installation are you trying, web installation or offline installation?    If it is a web installation, I think you could try an offline installation.   Download the Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions All-In-One DVD, then install it with virtual disc software.   For additional information, please refer to http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/offline.aspx.  Also SP1 version here (Installer) and here (ISO).

Or I think you could use this collection utility to get the setup and error log, then upload the %TEMP%\vslogs.cab to some server and offer us the URL.   You could easily sign up for 5GB free space at http://skydrive.live.com only with your Live Passport.   I think the setup log files could offer us more information about the error you encountered, which will be very helpful for troubleshooting setup problems.

Besides, I recommend you to use Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1, because it is the latest Service Pack of Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions and many issues have been fixed in it.  For more detail information, please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945140.   Thus, for practical and security consideration, Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1 will be a better choice.

However, if you still want Visual Basic 2008 Express without SP1 installed, I think you could get it here.

Any more questions you encountered, please be free to let me know.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Hi Lingzhi,

I was trying to install the web installation. I will try the offline installation. Thanks.

Yours truly,

Itamar

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi

I'm having the same problem when trying to install Visual C++ with SP1. Both when trying the web and offline installer. I'm using Vista Home Basic 64bit. 

Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Sir,

I am trying to do a webinstall of Visual Basic 2008 Express with SP1 on my Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit PC (Intel Core 2 Duo, E4600 2.4Ghz, 4gb RAM), over the dialup connection. There are no other users other than the administrator. The administrator is named as "user".

I downloaded the 2.6MB vbsetup.exe and ran it. This program initially completed the download of all the required components (76 MB) and attempted to install them. While trying to install, an error occurs and the installation aborts. The screenshot of the error message and the vslogs.cab has been uploaded to skydrive.live.com and the link

http://cid-772da38fe0133268.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/VB%20EXPRESS%20WEBINSTALL%20LOG

Please advise on how I can get the VB express installed. Do I have to download it again ?. Is there any way of getting the VB Express for Offline install (other than the "All-in-one" DVD image, which is too big for a dialup).

With best regards

Ragh Haven.

raghavank att live dott com.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Hello, all,

If you have any new questions want to ask here, please create a new thread.   I think this will let more community members know you need some help here.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:08 AM
  • I'm having the same problem installing visual web developer 2008 sp1. "visual c++ Runtime pre-requisites could not be installed

Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:58 PM
  • ws having the same kind of trouble. luckily i have a fast connection in college. just downloaded the offline file again and hey presto. i'm a magician!

Hope u have more luck!

Peace and love

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Everyone,

You should know that most every major software installation from Microsoft has a log file associated with it during the install.  If you take alook at this log file or send it as suggested, you or that person can solve this issue very quickly and easily.   This setup installation log file is usually located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your windows account name here]\Local Settings\Temp

If you dig through the information dialog boxes and click on the link what is contained in the error report, a window will appear showing the names of the log files for your failed install.  Open these files and go to the bottom.  You will be able to see specifically what the error is about.  In this case about the C++ runtime Preequisties. 

[10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: Cannot access file: C:\WINDOWS\wcu\vcredist_x86.exe
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: Cannot access file: C:\WINDOWS\vcredist_x86.exe
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty - Property: {8297A38B-6431-4F1D-9F6E-C3D371CEA383} - PropertyName: WebSetup - Value: 1
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: Downloading RemoteUrl= and LocalFile=
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=119372&clcid=0x409
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: C:\DOCUME~1\[windows account name here]\LOCALS~1\Temp\30729.01\1033\wcu\vcredist_x86.exe
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: BitsManager not yet initialized... initializing
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: CDownloadJobBITSImpl::RunToFinish() : verifying file before download.
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: CDownloadJobBITSImpl::RunToFinish() : GetDelayBetweenRetryAttempts= 30
    [10/31/08,10:44:57] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: CDownloadJobBITSImpl::RunToFinish() : GetMaxRetryAttempts= 5
    [10/31/08,10:45:09] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: CDownloadJobBITSImpl::GetState(): Error
    [10/31/08,10:45:09] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: dlmgr: BITS Error
    Context: 5 Error code: -2145844844 Description: The requested URL does not exist on the server.

In my case, the vcredist_x85.exe containing the visuall c++ runtime pre-requisties assemblies were not located in "c:\windows" or c:\windows\wcu".    The installation program, attempted to download them from Microsoft at the link above.  For some reason the installation program could not connect at that time to Microsoft's server and gave the last message that the URL does not exist on the server.  

I simply solved the problem by copying and paste the url in my web browser a couple minutes later.   It allowed me to save the file locally so there was no firewall or server down issue.  I simply copied the C++ prerequisties install file to C:\windows.   Next, I ran the install program again, and it got past this error and install them.    

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:27 PM
  • After trying to download the online installer once more, it suddenly works... 
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Opmh9101's instructions about vcredist_x86.exe also worked for me.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:33 PM
  • I had the same problem.  However the solution to my problem was different.  The problem was that it was unable to establish a connection to the server so the prequisites were not being downloaded thus the setup ended.  To fix this check the following:

1) Make sure BITS is running under services.

2) Make sure the .NET framework services is running.

If those services are running you should have no problem installing the VC Studio Express editions on Windows Vista.

• Proposed as answer by MSDN_GOD Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:03 PM
  • BITS = Background Intelligent Transfer Services

Microsoft.NET framework is a service needed as well.

To get to your services go to:  Start>Run> type in "services.msc"

Enable or click Start on the above services.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Another service you must be sure is running is the Windows Modules Installer service. I followed the suggestion by opmh9101 as well as MSDN_GOD to no avail. So I thought perhaps I need to update my .NET Framework installation, only to find that Windows Update wasn't running properly either. So I Googled around for a bit and found out that the WMI service is required for Windows Update to run. Turned that on and voila!

It had actually been turned off because there were some issues with this computer not turning on (freezing during boot). I had Googled the necessary services on Windows Vista and it said (apparently) that service could be turned off...clearly that site was wrong (or I just put the wrong setting).

So thanks for putting this info here. Probably the only thing I was missing was that service, but at least what you put here got me off in the right direction!

Edit: Oh also, regarding opmh9101's suggestion I wasn't able to save the file directly into the Windows folder, but I was able to move it there with cut/paste.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:02 AM
  • "Error code: -2145844841    Description: Proxy authentication is required." What does this mean?
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:55 AM