none
MS Learn: Scale multiple Azure SQL Databases with SQL elastic pools: Error configure elastic pool RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Navtej,

I managed to solve the issue for my exercise.

Instead of following the exercise and create everything through the azure cloud shell (which will give you the error at the configure elastic pool part, even with using everything lowercase).

I created the sql server and the 2 sql databases manually in the portal. After doing this i was able to configure the elastic pool without an Error.

Kind regards,

Arent

• Marked as answer by Arent Schaap Friday, August 16, 2019 7:13 AM
    • Edited by Arent Schaap Friday, August 16, 2019 7:17 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2019 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Arent

This was a bug in the Azure portal caused by mixed casing (uppercase and lowercase) in the server name. A fix was deployed and if you see now from image below you cannot create mixed casing names for the Azure SQL DB server anymore.

You may be using a server which was created before the fix was deployed. Please try creating another server with lowercase name for server and try to create azure SQL DB’s and elastic pool for the same.

Hope this helps you and get back to us if you have any other question.

Thanks
    Navtej S Saini

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:40 PM
  • Hi Navtej,

Thank you for your reply, i have done the exercise again and created a server lowercase, but sadly i am still getting the same error when trying to configure the elastic pool.

Error - Blade:ConfigureElasticPoolPerformanceBlade

Regards,

Arent

P.S.

For your information, I am still able to create a mixed case server through the Azure Cloud shell in this exercise by the way, in the portal it indeed will not allow me by giving the message it should be lower case.

Friday, August 16, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi Navtej,

I managed to solve the issue for my exercise.

Instead of following the exercise and create everything through the azure cloud shell (which will give you the error at the configure elastic pool part, even with using everything lowercase).

I created the sql server and the 2 sql databases manually in the portal. After doing this i was able to configure the elastic pool without an Error.

Kind regards,

Arent

• Marked as answer by Arent Schaap Friday, August 16, 2019 7:13 AM
    • Edited by Arent Schaap Friday, August 16, 2019 7:17 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi Arent

The creation of server(using CLI) name as mixed casing has been resolved in Azure itself. A server could have mixed casing friendly name but in Azure it is created as a lower case name. Please see name and FQDN name while I created the server, the name is changed to lower case  by Azure itself. See screenshot.

Additionally i was able to create DB with the CLI and elastic pool with portal with no errors. But its good to hear that you were able to complete the exercise using the Portal.

Thanks
    Navtej S Saini

Friday, August 16, 2019 7:22 PM