TFS 2010 migration to newer server or 2012 TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have a server running Windows Server 2003 with TFS2010. We are trying to retire the server, and we need to move TFS somewhere else.

Ultimate goal is to move it to Server 2008 and TFS2012. It seems that the process is not easy, from all the reading I've done.

What are my options? We want to keep all project history (check in, versions etc.).

-Can we migrate TFS2010 from Server 2003 to TFS2010 on (another box) Server 2008 and keep all the data?

-If we can do that, can we then do an upgrade from 2010 to TFS2012 and keep all the data(on the same box)?

Can you point me in the right direction? I have no TFS experience, but I can follow instructions very well if there are some online.

Thanks

Darko

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Darko,

You can do this easily, but I suggest to let someone with little TFS experience to do that. Mainly you need the following steps.

• Take backup of the old tfs environment.
    • Detach the collection from tfs console administration.
    • Backup the SQL server collection database.
    • Do a full installation to tfs in the new server
    • Restore the collection to the new sql server.
    • Attach the database to the new tfs with tfs console administration
    • Go with the upgrade process.

I supposed the following:

• You are moving the collection to new server in same domain.
    • The Server is windows 2008 64
    • You did no customization in the old collection. If you customized it, you have to apply the customization again in the new server.
    • You are using TFS for version control, and for work items tracking. Please let me know if you are using build features, lab testing, SharePoint. As these need an extra work to deploy.

You can follow the instruction here for details information
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/jj620933.aspx

Hope this was helped you.

Regards

Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Darko,

You can do this easily, but I suggest to let someone with little TFS experience to do that. Mainly you need the following steps.

• Take backup of the old tfs environment.
    • Detach the collection from tfs console administration.
    • Backup the SQL server collection database.
    • Do a full installation to tfs in the new server
    • Restore the collection to the new sql server.
    • Attach the database to the new tfs with tfs console administration
    • Go with the upgrade process.

I supposed the following:

• You are moving the collection to new server in same domain.
    • The Server is windows 2008 64
    • You did no customization in the old collection. If you customized it, you have to apply the customization again in the new server.
    • You are using TFS for version control, and for work items tracking. Please let me know if you are using build features, lab testing, SharePoint. As these need an extra work to deploy.

You can follow the instruction here for details information
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/jj620933.aspx

Hope this was helped you.

Regards

Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hi Darko,  

Thanks for your post.

For this issue, Samara provided us the detailed steps, please confirm that.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 30, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hi Darko

I would highly recommend that you look at the upgrade guidance provided by the ALM Rangers. You can find the link below. In the guide you will see full guidance for upgrades (from inplace to migration upgrades and shows all the pre and post check list items to help make sure there are no issues during the upgrade process.

http://vsarupgradeguide.codeplex.com/

Regards Gordon Beeming -------------------------------------------------------------- Developer who loves pushing the limits. Playing with amazing @Microsoft Tech, #TFS #VisualStudio. #ALMRangers http://gbeeming.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:25 PM
  • If you want to migrate my advice is to consult the TFS Ultimate Upgrade Guide.
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:44 PM
  • So, I contacted MSDN, and the process turned out to have a few extra steps. TFS was originally 2008 and it has been upgraded, my Server 2008 had SQL2012 installed...

We did a back up of all SQL dfatabases

Then we restored them to the new server with TFS2010

Then, we performed a bunch of upgrade commands

Then, we uninstalled TFS2010 and installed TFS2012

Then, we ran upgrade through console

Ran a few more commands to make the server and databases unique

Now we have a running test TFS2012 server.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:32 PM