Allowing members to upload pictures and videos RRS feed

• Question

• User-390097995 posted

I have a few questions on creating a site where members can sign up be allowed to upload pictures and videos. 

1.  We are looking at having hundreds, if not thousands of users, so which method would be best to use - Storing the uploaded files in separate folders for each member or storing the uploads in the database itself?  Or maybe there's another way

2.  We have several levels of membership, each with a different maximum amoutn of storage - basic=50MB, next level=500MB, and so forth.  How would we limit members based on this max?

3.  When members log in, we would like to direct them to their homepage where their uploaded files are then displayed.  Any thoughts?

I know this is a lot of of questions and I appreciate any and all responses.

Thank you

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:41 AM

Answers

• User177932033 posted

hi there.

1. my suggestion is , since you're having a large number of user therefor it is advisable to store the uploaded files into separate folders where a folder can be create for each user. because if you store all the uploaded files into the database, it will require a huge space and might affect your site perfomance.

2. sorry, i dont really know bout this part.

3. you can check them according to the id /username that they use to login, then you can redirect them to a menu page where the menu page will display the list of uploaded files according to their id/username.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 21, 2008 11:53 PM
  • User405463548 posted

Suggestion on your question part 2::

Store the allowed limit in some table and total size of files user has uploaded and before uploading the content on the server, check for the size of file he interested in uploading against the avilable limit, if limit allow, let him/her upload the files and update the  total size of files uploaded by the user.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:02 AM

All replies

• User-390097995 posted

Anyone?  Buehler?  Buehler?

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:09 PM
  • User177932033 posted

hi there.

1. my suggestion is , since you're having a large number of user therefor it is advisable to store the uploaded files into separate folders where a folder can be create for each user. because if you store all the uploaded files into the database, it will require a huge space and might affect your site perfomance.

3. you can check them according to the id /username that they use to login, then you can redirect them to a menu page where the menu page will display the list of uploaded files according to their id/username.

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:53 PM
  • User177932033 posted

hi there.

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:54 PM
  • User405463548 posted

Suggestion on your question part 2::

Store the allowed limit in some table and total size of files user has uploaded and before uploading the content on the server, check for the size of file he interested in uploading against the avilable limit, if limit allow, let him/her upload the files and update the  total size of files uploaded by the user.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:02 AM