FTDI Devices and D2XX Driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I'm currently trying to get some custom devices using FTDI FT232R chips to work on IoT Core. Since they don't provide a driver for UWP yet, I installed the driver for WindowsRT (confirmed by FTDI That they used it on RPi with IoT Core with success) and got our device to be initialized correctly and it is shown as correctly loaded in the Device Portal.

However, when I try to access the devices using the FTDI C# Wrapper (by referencing FTDI.D2xx.WinRT.winmd), I can't get the FTManager.GetDeviceList() to return any devices. It's always empty.

I think I correctly set the required permissions in the App Manifest:

<DeviceCapability Name="usb">
          <Device Id="vidpid:XXXX YYYY">
            <Function Type="name:vendorSpecific" />
          </Device>
          <Device Id="vidpid:0403 6001">
            <Function Type="name:vendorSpecific" />
          </Device>
        </DeviceCapability>

Has anyone tried to do something similar? I'm more than happy for any input and suggestions :)

Cheers,

Marco

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• hello

why don't you ask FTDI to provide a working sample?

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Well they provide one on their website but I couldn't get it to work on my setup. Since I know that some people on this forum already used FTDI devices, I thought to ask here as well, since there might be some small detail that I overlooked.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Hi marcow_

First, only FTDI can really support their sample so you should really let them know that the one on their website is not working.

Also, this forum is only Windows IoT, with which you don't have an issue.  I agree with Cyberh0me that a forum like https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffcc5757-4ced-4192-92a9-f61af07cd85b/strange-ftdi-device-detection?forum=wdk would likely be a better bet for an answer.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Hi Marco, FTDI USB-serial dongles are fully supported on IoT core by an inbox driver. They can be accessed through the Windows.Devices.SerialCommunication APIs. For an examples in C# and C++, see

https://github.com/ms-iot/samples/tree/develop/SerialUART

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:22 AM
  • Hey all

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get in contact with FTDI directly.

@Jordan: Sorry, I forgot to specify that I need the access through the D2XX library because we use the asynchronous bit-banging interface that is supported by the FT232R (on our custom device, behind the FTDI chip we have a small PIC which has several LEDs and a motion sensor attached, that allows our users to control our devices running IoT Core). I have some FTDI USB-Serial adapters that work as you mentioned directly through the inbox driver and the SerialCommunication APIs.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Marco,  I am encountering something similar.    A few years's back but was wondering if you ever resolved the issue or what you ended up doing instead.

Thanks

Monday, August 5, 2019 5:55 PM
  • We were in intensive discussion with FTDI as it turned out that their library that wraps the driver was very buggy (e.g. one bug had to do with device notifications that were not properly handled, so the FTManager had to be used in a very specific way to get a list of devices).

Since then we got an updated library from them. It looks like they have not yet officially released it on their website. You might want to try and ask their support if you can get the latest version of their UWP library for IoT Core.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Thanks
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:58 PM