Search guidelines

General discussion

• There appears to be a contradiction in the Guidelines and checklist for search:

"Always provide query suggestions..."

and

"If you provide both types of search suggestions (queries and results), you should provide only one result suggestion..."

but

"If you want to supply multiple result suggestions...."

If one should always provide query suggestions, and if, having provided query suggestions, one should only provide a single result suggestion, there are no circumstances under which one would provide multiple result suggestions, right? Or am I missing something?

Please believe me, I'm not sniping here, I'm trying to understand. Did the author actually mean to say one should always provide suggestions (either query and 1 result, or all result) or did they suffer from excess enthusiasm and provide examples for things that shouldn't happen? (I write technical books for a living--I understand how both of those things can happen!)

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Changed type Aaron Xue Monday, April 15, 2013 9:56 AM no solid answer
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed, the guildlines may confuse you. I think your words is true. There are no curcumstances providing multiple result suggestions, because there are always query suggestions. Maybe take a look at how the search function is implemented in Store would help you.

Aaron
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Aaron, thanks for your response. I was starting to hear pins drop ;)

I'm afraid the Store isn't really a good example. It only ever provides a single result suggestion (or at least, that's all I could ever get to come up). But that doesn't since it also provides query suggestions, that doesn't preclude only providing result suggestions.

So can we get some kind of determination on whether this is a doc error from the PTBs?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Monday, April 15, 2013 12:21 PM