none
Convert GUI to server core Windows server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Anyone tried converting Server 2016 from GUI to Server core?

I tried "Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra , Server-Gui-Shell -Remove" and it did not work.

the same used to work for 2012 R2.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra , Server-Gui-Shell -Remove
    Uninstall-WindowsFeature : ArgumentNotValid: The role, role service, or feature name is not valid:
    'Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell'. The name was not found.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra , Server-Gui-Shell -Re ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell:String) [Uninstall-WindowsFeatu
       re], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NameDoesNotExist,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.RemoveWindowsFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             InvalidArgs    {}

Thanks, Krishna

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Krishna,

This is probably better suited on a Windows Server forum, but the answer is it is no longer possible to convert the installation type on Windows Server 2016. See Installation Options for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview.

"Unlike some previous releases of Windows Server, your choice of Server Core vs. Server with Desktop Experience at the time of installation is not convertible to the other mode."

Thanks,

Justin [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Hi, 

you can install server core on different machine, and run the tests.

server core test is now distributed in HLK unlike HCK where you have to convert each DUT and run.

Thanks

Thanks, Krishna

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Krishna,

This is probably better suited on a Windows Server forum, but the answer is it is no longer possible to convert the installation type on Windows Server 2016. See Installation Options for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview.

"Unlike some previous releases of Windows Server, your choice of Server Core vs. Server with Desktop Experience at the time of installation is not convertible to the other mode."

Thanks,

Justin [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Hello Justin Hall,

I am trying to run “Operate In Server Core Test” in “Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Technical Preview 5”. The prerequisite is to covert GUI to Server core before starting the test.

I am trying to covert Installed GUI to Server core and I have tried the below to covert which aren’t successful. Can you tell the right command to switch from GUI to Server core and vice versa.

-        Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -Restart

-        Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -Remove

-        Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra -Restart

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt427865.aspx - As mentioned above by you this link says switching between GUI and Server core not possible in WS 2016. Then how does this tests get validated in WS 2016 environment without having an option to switch.

Thanks,

Santhosh Kumar

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Need help on the same question from Santhosh.

How do we test Server Core test on HLK for Win Server 2016 when we cant switch between the 2 modes?

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Hi, 

server core test is now distributed in HLK unlike HCK where you have to convert each DUT and run.

Thanks

Thanks, Krishna

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks

Thanks, Krishna

• Hi, 

Thanks

Thanks, Krishna

• Hi Krishna,

Can you demonstrate how would you run the Server Core test in HLK under the same project?

Thanks,
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:05 AM
  • 1. Install server core in another machine.

2. install client and join the machine to same project.

3. in HLK studio, right click on server core test and schedule on the new machine that you have added.

4. I followed above and able to pass successfully.

Thanks, Krishna

Friday, October 28, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Hi Krishna,

I am not able to run that.

Currently I had created a storage test project and selected a disk under device manager and had run all the in the playlist except the server core test.
    when I try to add other system with the server core, it says that I can't mix system and non-system target targets

When I try to add the disk in the server core system and just run the server core, it says that all the test must pass to be able to certified for the windows 2016.

so is there any way I can pass server core test within same project with the storage disk as the target ?

Thanks

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:53 AM
  • Hi JianWeic,

Have you selected "Allow Multi-Device tests to run as one instance when possible" option under HLK studio options? i have attached a screenshot.

Thanks, Krishna

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks

Thanks, Krishna

Can this method get certified with on SYSDEV for windows logo?

its rejecting me as 2 incomplete runs. 

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:10 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

We have tried with the steps you have mentioned but I am not able to proceed with the 2nd step (i.e install client and join the machine to same project.) Can you please explain in detail and also can you explain how did you install the driver in Server core?

Thanks,
    • Edited by HP_LFP Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:00 AM
  • 2) After you install the server core, please install HLK client. then this machine will show up under default pool. 

I work on network adapters, I use pnputil to install drivers. we also have our own app. both ways works.

Thanks, Krishna

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Hi ChasePack,

I did not see any issue with sysdev. we got signatures.

Thanks, Krishna

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the reply.

I also used pnputil for installing the driver.

I have installed the HLK setup in the server core & it is also listing in the pool but I am not able to join this pool with the pre-existing project & run the server core tests in the server core pool.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Hi all,

I have a similar problem, I don't know how install driver and printer in Windows Server 2016 Core to show the printer in "device and printer" on Machine pool, because the core machine doesn't appear like a machine in "Run on" option.

Could someone help me, please?

Thanks so much.

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Hi JianWeic,

Have you selected "Allow Multi-Device tests to run as one instance when possible" option under HLK studio options? i have attached a screenshot.

Thanks, Krishna

Hi Krishna:

I have installed a Server Core ,and also add this machine into the same pool, so just select Operate In Server Core Test  under this Server Core machine, and other test items under another machine ,does it?

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi all,

I have a similar problem, I don't know how install driver and printer in Windows Server 2016 Core to show the printer in "device and printer" on Machine pool, because the core machine doesn't appear like a machine in "Run on" option.

Could someone help me, please?

Thanks so much.

Hi

Use the command pnputil under command line ,for example run pnputil /add-driver yourfile.inf

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi CaptainFu,

I installed driver using: pnputil -i -a file.inf, but I can't install printer by WSD port, therefore I think the printer doesn't appear in "devices and printer".

Any solution?

Thanks,

Cristina.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:35 PM
  • From description of "WoW64 Support" features (Server Manager - Remove role or features): Uninstalling "WoW64 Support" will convert a full Server installation into a Server Core installation.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Can anyone confirm this?
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Does not work as advertised.
    Monday, January 23, 2017 10:14 PM
  • Hi folks,

This thread has gone off topic slightly but to answer the original question, it is no longer possible to convert from Server Core to the full installation (or Desktop Experience) or vice versa. Here is an updated TechNet url to confirm: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/getting-started-with-server-core

Thanks,

Justin [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Hi

I would use the following powershell commands on my 2012 server

Get-WindowsFeature *gui* | remove-WindowsFeature -Restart

Get-Windowsfeature *gui* | install-windowsFeature -Restart

But this doesn't work on 2016 nowadays :-(

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/04/05/switching-between-windows-server-2016-server-core-and-desktop-experience/

Kind Regards  Adam

• Proposed as answer by Adz Net Man Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:52 AM
    • Edited by Adz Net Man Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:59 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:52 AM
  • In Windows Server 2019 as well as Windows Server 2016, you can't convert from core to GUI and vice versa!  The only available solution is performing a new fresh installation.

For more details, check Windows Server 2019: Switch from Server Core to Desktop Experience.

Saturday, November 23, 2019 4:32 AM