none
.NET 4.5 Outlook add-in extremely slow cold start RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I have found that my .NET 4.5 Outlook add-in is extremely slow loaded at Windows 7 startup:

Description: DotNet_4_5_Outlook_add_in
    ProgID: DotNet_4_5_Outlook_add_in
    GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Load Behavior: 3
    HKLM: 0
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 64219

I created just new empty project and got similar result. More than one minute for cold start. The same add-in starts much more faster on Windows 8.1 that has pre-installed .NET 4.5. I tried to target my add-in to .NET 4, but there is no difference for Windows 7. I can't set my add-in to load on demand since it need to be loaded at once.

Is there any workaround for this problem? 

Monday, September 21, 2015 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Maksidrom,

Did you try to use NGEN?

You may also find the following links helpful:

Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability

Performance Tips and Tricks in .NET Applications

P.S. Do you test only VSTO based add-ins? Try to create an add-in which implements IDTExtensibility2 interface and see the difference. Is there any delay in that case?
    Monday, September 21, 2015 11:43 AM
  • Hi Makisdrom,

It is not normal that the add-in spend 64219 milliseconds for starting. As far as I know, the Outlook add-in would monitor add-in performance when the median time over 5 successive iterations exceeds the performance threshold, Outlook disables the add-in( Performance criteria for keeping add-ins enabled).

I suggest that you create an normal application with .Net Framework 4.5 like console or Windows form application to narrow down whether this issue is relative to Office solution.

And I am also trying to reproduce this issue however failed. I suggest that you repair and update the Outlook to see whether it is helpful.

In addition, if you were developing VSTO add-in, please download the latest the VSTO runtime version for the solution.

You can get more detail about VSTO runtime form link below:
    Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime Overview

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:23 AM
  • Hello Eugene,

Thank you for you answer. Can I create managed add-in that implements IDTExtensibility2 in VS 2012? There is no Shared Add-in project template any more.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:53 AM
  • You can create a class library project instead and then add all the required references. See How to build an Office COM add-in by using Visual C# .NET for more information.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:02 AM