none
Only Cloud-centric is horrible idea! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Access since 1998 and it has suited my needs as a large apartment building manager quite nicely.  However, I am not comfortable with the idea of storing people's sensitive personal information in the cloud.  I have personally had my information stolen from a health care company and am not willing to accept responsibility should something similar happen with the information I have been entrusted with.

It is a nice idea to be able to do everything from your tablet or phone's touch screen, but who is going to screw around typing anything of length on them?  Not me.  What a pain trying to compose a letter on my phone would be!

What are you supposed to do when your internet goes down? Close shop for the day? 

You're dangerously close to losing a big section of customers...the ones like me. I like to work at work and be at home when I'm home. 

Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:31 AM

Answers

• You can keep your desktop database exactly the way it is now (at least for the foreseeable future, it would seem), so no need to panic just yet :).

Also, if you ever do move to a web app, the data is stored in SQL Server, which is much, much more secure than Access. Of course, the burden is on you to insure the data is stored correctly, but that's the case regardless of whether you're storing the data in Access, SQL, or a Word document!

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, January 3, 2016 12:41 PM
  • There is nothing in office that suggests you need to, or have to use cloud storage.

In fact the office 365 editions include the standard desktop edition of office. The “main” difference is the office 365 are subscription based. This just means you don’t have to fork out the total cost of office at the start, and pay yearly. However, the office 365 versions are the SAME as the desktop only edition in every other regards.

So in BOTH cases office 365 versions, AND ALSO the boxed edition of office, you do NOT need nor are forced in ANY WAY to store data in the cloud.

So the choice remains freely yours regardless of what version of office you obtain.

So while the new version of office supports saving documents etc. into the cloud, there is nothing forcing you to do as such, and this includes EVEN when you choose the office 365 versions.

In fact I much agree that “only cloud centric” is a bad idea for many business!

However there is nothing in office that suggests you must adopt or use cloud based storage.

You can save and use your files on your desktop computer much the same for the last 20+ years of office editions.

So the classic "desktop" only versions of office are still available.

And choosing office 365 gives you the SAME edition of office, the only difference is the desktop version is now subscription based, and some cloud services are included - but you don't have to use those cloud services.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:32 PM

All replies

• You can keep your desktop database exactly the way it is now (at least for the foreseeable future, it would seem), so no need to panic just yet :).

Also, if you ever do move to a web app, the data is stored in SQL Server, which is much, much more secure than Access. Of course, the burden is on you to insure the data is stored correctly, but that's the case regardless of whether you're storing the data in Access, SQL, or a Word document!

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, January 3, 2016 12:41 PM
  • There is nothing in office that suggests you need to, or have to use cloud storage.

In fact the office 365 editions include the standard desktop edition of office. The “main” difference is the office 365 are subscription based. This just means you don’t have to fork out the total cost of office at the start, and pay yearly. However, the office 365 versions are the SAME as the desktop only edition in every other regards.

So in BOTH cases office 365 versions, AND ALSO the boxed edition of office, you do NOT need nor are forced in ANY WAY to store data in the cloud.

So the choice remains freely yours regardless of what version of office you obtain.

So while the new version of office supports saving documents etc. into the cloud, there is nothing forcing you to do as such, and this includes EVEN when you choose the office 365 versions.

In fact I much agree that “only cloud centric” is a bad idea for many business!

However there is nothing in office that suggests you must adopt or use cloud based storage.

You can save and use your files on your desktop computer much the same for the last 20+ years of office editions.

So the classic "desktop" only versions of office are still available.

And choosing office 365 gives you the SAME edition of office, the only difference is the desktop version is now subscription based, and some cloud services are included - but you don't have to use those cloud services.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:32 PM