none
Why all the limitations?

Question

• Microsoft has rendered SharePoint workflows practically useless.  You can't have a product with key features missing. Creating workflows in SPD 2013 is terrible! It's like seeing a commercial for a car and buying it. Then you want to do something basic like drive.  You then find out that they have discontinued the gearshift, so you can't take the car out of park. You find through forums and articles that there is a elaborate workaround to get the car in gear, and somehow, you make it work. Then you go to put your foot on the accelerator, and find that that feature has been discontinued. So basically, you can start the car and sit in it, but cant do much but operate the wipers and radio. That's what Microsoft has done. There is no basic commands available to move a document to a library.  SPD 2010 platform workflows had the submit file or the send document to commands.  They are no longer available with SPD 2013 even if you create a workflow with the 2010 platform.  I have jumped through so many hoops to do simple tasks.  This is so crazy and I'm really pissed off.  I've spent a lot of time developing this workflow and in the end it won't work.  I can't even use site content organizer rules because if you use the Call http service to submit docs to the drop off library, they just sit there.  Can Microsoft please hire someone with some common sense and implement basic features in you products.  I know a bunch of people will nit pick and ask a lot of questions about specifics in this rant, but the fact remains, everything you do is a workaround because there are no direct tools to do simple tasks.  You know it's true.  Can't even install SPD 2013 on a machine that has office 365 installed on it.  Went through multiple support tiers with no luck.  I have to run on a VM.  So much power, with no way of accessing it without writing custom code.  BOO!

Many Thanks, JP

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi JP,

I understand your feeling when encountering some issues which spends a lot of time to resolve.

Due to some features of the SharePoint 2010 Workflow platform are dependent on Windows Workflow Foundation 3.0, so they are deprecated in SharePoint 2013 which workflow is built upon Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 and that is integrated with Workflow Manager 1.0.

For your issue, do you mean you want to move the documents to Drop off dictionary?

There are methods to achieve your request:

1. Using workflow 2010 platform in SharePoint Designer 2013 and “send document to repository” action.

2. Go to Central Administration->general application settings->configure send to connections, add “send to” connection, then the document can be send to drop off library.

Reference: http://www.documentmanagementworkflowinfo.com/sharepoint-2013/sharepoint-2013-manually-move-document-records-center.htm

3. If you just move a document to a normal library, use “copy item” action in the workflow.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Grace, but this still does not work.  I do not have the "Send to" command available in the core actions.  I have set up a "send to" connector on the admin site. 

I've managed to jump all of the hurdles and get my files to the drop off library.  Sadly, another hurdle is found.  The Content Organizer rules only run once a day on items added programmatically to the drop off list.  WTF!!!!!  Being that it is SharePoint online, I do not have access to the timer jobs so I can't change the interval for processing rules.  What a huge shortcoming.  Testing rules will take days instead of minutes.  Even when you get the rules working the way you want, everything just sits in the drop off library for a day which is a mess if you are trying to submit many batches of files.  This entire SharePoint experience is simply Disappointing.  I still do not understand why you keep discontinuing basic functionality for programming.  Now you are going to kill SharePoint Designer and we'll be left with the Flow site to make very basic workflows with even fewer programmatic options.  Come on!  Let us keep the same tools that allow us to make some decent workflows without having to code from scratch.

Many Thanks, JP

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:20 PM
  • The simple ability to copy a file from one library to another and specify the target folder would be beneficial.  I don't understand why this basic task is impossible. 

Many Thanks, JP

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Hi JP,

What's the workflow type and associated list in your 2010 workflow platform?

If we add a list as associated list, or use "reusable workflow" or "site workflow", there is no "send to document to repository" be default.

I suggest adding library as associated list or selecting a content type when you using reusable workflow.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:34 AM
  • Hi JP,

Is there any update?

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, March 24, 2017 11:37 AM