Summarize an existing summarize table RRS feed

• General discussion

• hi All,

I'm new in DAX, and face a problem about SUMMARIZE function.

====================

First I use summarize an table 'A' group by cust_id and max(value) --> SUMMARIZE('A', [cust_id],"max_value",max(value))

cust_id value
    A 2
    A 3
    B 1
    C 1
    C 3

====================

And the result will be OK as below,

cust_id value
    A 3
    B 1
    C 3

====================

And then, I need to summarize this table group by value and count(cust_id) but don't know how to do....it cannot recognize existing 'cust_id' column...

the result I expect is,

value count
    1 1
    3 2

please help , thanks in advanced.

Jackie

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• Instead of using summarize, why don't you use 2 measures:

Max_Value: =Max([value])

Count: =countx('A';[Max_Value])

The result will be something like:

Max_Value Count
    A 3 2
    B 1 1
    C 3 2

You can then create another pivotable based on the first one by using OLAP ... convert into formula:

Max_Value Min of Count
    1 1
    3 2

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:22 AM
  • I am not really clear why you need two summarize for this? Do you need this in PowerPivot or are you creating it a DAX query? If it is in PowerPivot, I would say to create a calculated column for the value and then a measure for the count. The reason value needs to be a calculated column is because you need to drag and drop it in the rows. Follow the steps below:-

1) For the purpose of this demo, I have imported the rows that you gave as a linked table and is called Table1. Create a calculated column called MaxValue with the formula below:-

=calculate(max(Table1[value]), filter(Table1, EARLIER(Table1[cust_id])=Table1[cust_id]))

2) Now save it and then create a measure called CntMaxValue with the formula below

=distinctcount(Table1[cust_id])

3) Preview the results by putting MaxValue in rows and CntMaxValue in values

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jason & NGUYEN,

Thanks for your reply, and let me clarify my request for you.

here is the fact table,

cust_id value
    A 2
    A 3
    B 1
    C 1
    C 3

And the dimension table(Dim),

D_value

And I need to create a measurement(cust count) when drag it into pivot table, it'll look like,

D_value cust count
    1 1
    3 1

This measurement need to find the max(value) by customer(1st summarize) and then count by each value(2nd summarize).

I can do 1st summarize like below, but have no idea how to do 2nd summarize in the outside...

SUMMARIZE(
    CALCULATETABLE
    ('A', ALL('Dim'[D_value]))
    ,[cust_id]
    ,"max_value"
    , max('A'[value])
    )  

please feel free to let me know if any questions. 

Jackie

• Edited by Jackie_tw Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:16 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:14 AM
  • do you need it as a result of a dax query? Where is this being used?

Because the method I showed will give you the results when you use the measure... 

Are you using the tabular model? or PowerPivot?

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:31 AM
    Answerer
  • hi Jason,

I use tabular model; I need to count the summarize table, so I will add countrows outside of summarize result.

I tried your sample to create a static column and use distinctcount, but I think my case will be dynamic depend on what user drag into.

Because the fact table also include other columns(like Product, Country...), so if pre-create this column it will not be correct.

thanks in advanced.

Jackie

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Jackie,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:23 AM