none
Handler Mappings IIS 7.5 with 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Custom Handler which was developed for 3.0. All I had to do for the corresponding UI to use this handler was to put it in the GAC and associate the handler mappings in IIS6 and that did the trick. Now I have migrated to 4.0 and IIS7.5. This Handler which was initially developed for 3.0 was converted to 4.0 and i put the same in a server which runs 4.0 framework. The problem is: GAC is in two parts on machines with 4.0! C:\Windows\Asembly for 3.5 and below; C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Assembly for 4.0. When i use GACUtil and add my handler's dll to GAC it goes and sits in the new GAC and correspondingly my IIS7.5 is not detecting the handler to associate the mapping to load this handler.

What am i missing?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Yusuf

Friday, December 3, 2010 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Yusuf

The .Net 4.0 has two GACs AND two GACUtil tools. They add differernt assemblies to differernt paths.

So make sure you don't add a dll into a wrong path.

1. D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools

2. D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\x64

1 and 2 are the paths of the two GACUtil tools.

Best Reagrds,

Please mark the right answers which satisfy your requirements.That will be helpfull for all community members. Thanks, Cookie
    • Marked as answer by Cookie Luo Friday, December 10, 2010 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:22 AM

All replies

• maybe a stupid question, but when you converted the dll to .net 4, did you retarget the new framework when compiling?
    Monday, December 6, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Hi Yusuf

The .Net 4.0 has two GACs AND two GACUtil tools. They add differernt assemblies to differernt paths.

So make sure you don't add a dll into a wrong path.

1. D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools

2. D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\x64

1 and 2 are the paths of the two GACUtil tools.

Best Reagrds,

Please mark the right answers which satisfy your requirements.That will be helpfull for all community members. Thanks, Cookie
    • Marked as answer by Cookie Luo Friday, December 10, 2010 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Hi Yusuf

I will mark the reply as answer. If you come back and the reply is useless for you. please unmark it.

Thanks.

Cookie Luo [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 10, 2010 7:54 AM